GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding on the "Slab" today and decided to check my odometer reading against the mile markers. I zeroed my trip mileage indicator as I passed a mile marker. I rode for 10 miles and the Wing trip indicator read 10.3 and for 20 miles it indicated 20.7. This shows that the Wing odometer is indicating an overage error of about 3%. When the speedometer on the Wing shows 74 MPH to Zumo indicates 70 MPH, almost a 6% error. I think this is consistant with what other Wing riders have indicated. Just a "Check-Check" to do. My metric cars/trucks are accurate on the mileage checks. Dave B. Denver

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Nothing new in this

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
This has been a topic of discussion forever. They supposedly have fixed it on the newer models.
I installed the calibration unit call the SpeedoDRD from 12 O clock labs. It can be programmed to any percentage increase or decrease. I set mine to slow it down by 5.5% and it is almost dead on with the GPS.

Jeff...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I had an '09 and it was within 1MPH with the "how fast you are going" signs and the odometer was dead on with google maps. I now have a '13 Hannigan and the speedometer is 1mph slow with my Zumo 665 and odometer is fine also.

·
Registered
994 Posts
That's funny because anytime the subject has come up on different forums everyone says the speedo is off,but the odo is supposed to be right on.Which to me doesn't make sense anyway.If one is off they both should be and by the same amount.Is there a mileage limit on the factory warr.?If there is you just lost 3% of it right off the top.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Tom Finch, our resident engineering genius, has argued that the bike was originally designed for a 70 series rear tire and the speedo error showed up when they went with a 60 series in production. Putting a 70 series on the rear corrects the error to within a 1 mph.

Read his comments here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Using my Zumo shows the odometer and speedometer to both be off on the high side of actual distance and speed. Not much to worry about in my opinion, many cars and trucks are the same as well. By the way, even though google maps is pretty cool and fairly accurate, it is not 100% accurate. If you try several different mapping applications you will find very small differences in distances. So what would be the correct 70 series tire for the wing?

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Speedometer read 6.5 % fast and odometer was 4% more miles than traveled with my 03. I installed a Yellow Box and set it for a 6.5% correction factor and my speedometer now reads dead on with GPS..my odometer now read about 2% low...about 2 miles less every 100 miles...I know some think it's no big deal, but I just wanted my speedometer to actually read the true speed I was doing...whats the sense in having a speedometer that doesn't read what your actually doing or a odometer that doesn't measure your actual mileage...it's like a watch that doesn't keep time...never made sense to me why Honda would spend the money on instrumentation that doesn't do the job correctly when it would be so easy to do it right...anyways..at least the aftermarket can mostly fix the issue for those who want it fixed

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I was riding on the "Slab" today and decided to check my odometer reading against the mile markers. I zeroed my trip mileage indicator as I passed a mile marker. I rode for 10 miles and the Wing trip indicator read 10.3 and for 20 miles it indicated 20.7. This shows that the Wing odometer is indicating an overage error of about 3%. When the speedometer on the Wing shows 74 MPH to Zumo indicates 70 MPH, almost a 6% error. I think this is consistant with what other Wing riders have indicated. Just a "Check-Check" to do. My metric cars/trucks are accurate on the mileage checks. Dave B. Denver
yes, the 3% and 6% numbers you came up with correspond to what I have found with my 02.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I did an SS1000 IBA certificate ride last November 3rd from Irving, Texas to Troy, Michigan.

Odometer said 1266 miles Zumo GPS said 1232 miles..........34 miles difference.

1266/1232 = 1.0275974 = 2.76% difference.

When I cruise at 75 Zumo mph the Wing speedometer shows around 77 mph.

At 77 Zumo mph the Wing's speedometer shows a little under 80 MPH. (2.76%) = 79.1 mph.

gramps

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's funny because anytime the subject has come up on different forums everyone says the speedo is off,but the odo is supposed to be right on.Which to me doesn't make sense anyway.If one is off they both should be and by the same amount.Is there a mileage limit on the factory warr.?If there is you just lost 3% of it right off the top.
I had a 09 Wing and now a 13 Wing and both the speedometer and odometer were / are off by 3%. I would think that if the odometer is wrong then the speedometer would have to be off also.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Soon after I bought my '05 I compared it to mile markers on 100 mile runs on a trip to AZ. Both times the odo registered 104 miles.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I had a 09 Wing and now a 13 Wing and both the speedometer and odometer were / are off by 3%. I would think that if the odometer is wrong then the speedometer would have to be off also.
Unlike the days of mechanical meters with speedometer cables. The speedometer and odometer are separate circuits and separate calibrations. That is done intentionally. They will not necessarily be the same. If you have only checked accuracy based on the odometer, don't draw any conclusions about the speedometer from that.

Most people have reported that starting with the 2009 model, the speedo error was fixed and it is now right on the money. I don't have one of the late models, so I can't verify if that is true, but if you read it on the Internet, it must be true. :lol:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Soooo Correct me here if I'm wrong if what I read here is correct:

"Wouldn't the O/D mileage be off on the "HIGH" side when appraising your Goldwings value to sell or trade"??????

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Yes it shows more miles than are actually on the odometer. If I put a new ct on with a lot of tread, my 08 is about 2 mph faster than I am actually going. As the tred wears, it probably goes to about 3 to 3 1/2 miles faster (tires diameter gets smaller)

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Soooo Correct me here if I'm wrong if what I read here is correct:

"Wouldn't the O/D mileage be off on the "HIGH" side when appraising your Goldwings value to sell or trade"??????
Yes, but...... Would you pay more for a bike with 94K on it over a bike with 97K on it? No, you are going to look at both bikes as having nearly 100K.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I put a 195/65 cat tire on my 2008 Wing and the speedometer is dead on, according to my GPS. The odometer is 2 percent low.

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
That can be explained as coindidence as much as anything. That theory was posed by many members way back as far as 2001. I'm surprised that an engineer would support a conclusion like that with no evidence to support it. Yes, it's possible, but unlikely. There is actually more evidence against a position like that. There are hundreds of models of cars and bikes with similar errors. There will always be a size tire that will correct any vehicle's speedo error. Were those all designed for different sized tires too? And if it was designed for a 70 series tire, why would the speedo be off by 6%, and the odometer be off by 3%? The theory just doesn't pan out when you dig deeper.

I have worked with hundreds of engineers over the years. Listing possibilities is one thing. You have to start somewhere. But I have never met an engineer that would ever support a theory as being even reasonably factual without digging deeper and discovering some additional compelling evidence to support the theory. Without that evidence, it is just guesswork, and engineers don't rely on guesses and speculation.
Tom worked with 100's of engineers over the years too -- he was their supervisor.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Unlike the days of mechanical meters with speedometer cables. The speedometer and odometer are separate circuits and separate calibrations. That is done intentionally. They will not necessarily be the same. If you have only checked accuracy based on the odometer, don't draw any conclusions about the speedometer from that.

Most people have reported that starting with the 2009 model, the speedo error was fixed and it is now right on the money. I don't have one of the late models, so I can't verify if that is true, but if you read it on the Internet, it must be true. :lol:
So there is actually two different speed sensors?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts