GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left aux lights on and battery went dead. Placed on trickle charger (2 diff ones actually at diff times) both indicate battery full charge. Bike still wont start. Dash lights come on but real dim. No bump or attempt to start. Not sure what to try next or check. Any help appreciated. But will start with jumper cables attached but soon as disconnect it kills.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I would try a regular battery charger. The trickle charger probably not getting enough back feed to trigger.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Batt is dead. Replace and bet all is well. Probably cratered a cell in the batt when run down. Wing will not attempt a start without enough voltage in the battery.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Dead battery or bad connection on battery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wont Start

Thanks everyone, kinda figured that about the trickle charge, only good to keep battery up and charge from dead. Will get a new one Tuesday after work and let everyone know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Won't Start?

First, check your battery terminals before you do anything else!. Clean them and/or retighten them. It's happened to me, too!

·
Registered
502 Posts
The battery needs to be charged at 2 amp rate for about 8 / 10 hours the put it on the slow charger.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Sounds to me like you killed your battery. If you ran it totally flat, and it stayed that way for any length of time, the cells are probably all sulfated, and you may not be able to bring it back to life. Fully discharging a battery will kill it in short order.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Left aux lights on and battery went dead. Placed on trickle charger (2 diff ones actually at diff times) both indicate battery full charge. Bike still wont start. Dash lights come on but real dim. No bump or attempt to start. Not sure what to try next or check. Any help appreciated. But will start with jumper cables attached but soon as disconnect it kills.
The Wing's alt has a delay before it charges so if you boost a wing the boost battery should remain connected for about 10 seconds after start.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wont Start

My thanks to everyone. Ended up taking battery to our local Interstate Battery supplier. After battery being on trickle for over 24 hours on one charger and another 18 on another. Neither one pulled batter up to the point of starting. When test done on battery they found it was charging less than 6 volts. Purchased a new one, installed it and started on first click. Appreciate all the help from everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts