GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have probably missed your postings about this; but has Honda resolved the slow throttle roll-on hesitation that has occured in earlier years as the ECM/FI system transitions from low RPM tuning to midrange? I am referencing the "flat spot" Stu Oltman studied or pondered extensively, the one most folks do not notice unless they look for it.

prs

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
My 2008 will peel your ears back at any speed in any gear. Has no hesitation at any rpm or in any gear.

So I would assume the 09 has even better subtle differences, that make it a better bike.

Kit

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Same as Kit with my '08. My only issue is all the slop in the throttle - makes slow speed handling difficult.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you guys, but that is NOT what I am talking about. This is/was an issue that is not noticed in typical or hot riding. It is most detectible in neutral with very slow and very steady throttle pressure to very slowly advance the RPMs. At about 1,000 to 1,400 RPM there is a spot where the engine faulters as the ECM hunts between its slow and default programming. My '02 does it, but I only notice it IF I look for it and it is not detrimental so far as I know -- my bike will definitely haul ars without any flat spots in riding conditions.

prs

·
Registered
581 Posts
I hear you guys, but that is NOT what I am talking about. This is/was an issue that is not noticed in typical or hot riding. It is most detectible in neutral with very slow and very steady throttle pressure to very slowly advance the RPMs. At about 1,000 to 1,400 RPM there is a spot where the engine faulters as the ECM hunts between its slow and default programming. My '02 does it, but I only notice it IF I look for it and it is not detrimental so far as I know -- my bike will definitely haul ars without any flat spots in riding conditions.

prs
Just curious, do you have the replacement ECM from the recall or the original? I have the replacement and have the "flat spot", as you said irritating, but not a big problem.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yep, still there on the niners. I s'pose if you're absolutely, positively, beyond a shadow of a doubt, totally anal, it could bug ya. I just don't spend enough time in that RPM range though.:nojoke:

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
I haven't paid any real attention, but I will say that my 09 has a noticeable increase in horsepower and torque at almost all RPM's over my 02.

I dunno if the 02 was just showing it's age and mileage with typical wear on the top end, or if there was some improvement in the ECM that makes the 09 run better. But whatever the case, it sure is a noticeable difference.

The 02 probably just lost performance so gradually that I didn't realize it till I got on a new bike. I guess some loss in power should be expected after 125K miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts