GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get on bike...

Enter route for day (30 minutes, slight cursing since POI's added go in backwards)...

Get on road...

Stop for gas and a sammich...

Start bike...

ROUTE GONE!!! (That's right...you can't save routes!)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

I hate this system.

Time to mount the Zumo...

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
That is SAD on Honda's part.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Don't know about the 09 but on the 07 you can save routes.
yep... same on my 07'

It's hard to believe they changed the way the nav works since they change so little else. Perhaps a review of the owners manual is in order...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
On my '08, not only can you save routes, but it automatically saves them. Turn off the bike and when you start it again you pick up right where you left off.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have an '08 and it doesn't do that...cut it off...eat...fuel....start it up & it's all still there!

Weird...

Mark

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
My guess would be that the map save was not complete when the bike was shut down. I do not have Nav, but don't know any one with it that it does not save the route once entered.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
map is auto saved and always there if you have not completed the ride and arrived at your destination.

John

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Get on bike...

Enter route for day (30 minutes, slight cursing since POI's added go in backwards)...

Get on road...

Start bike...

I hate this system.

Well that hasn't been my experience with the '09. Route is saved until I'm done with the route or end it. It is a bit annoying that it doesn't remember where you are on the route when you stop and shut the bike off. You have to remove the Via's you've already passed. Otherwise it tries to route you back through them. :shrug: Just gotta know the system's "character". :p

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Get on bike...

Get on road...

Start bike...

I hate this system.

Either operator error or there is something wrong with your particular GPS........

My '09 automatically saves routes.
Even when done with the route you can recall it anytime by going to previous routes menu.

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
Either operator error or there is something wrong with your particular GPS........

My '09 automatically saves routes.
Even when done with the route you can recall it anytime by going to previous routes menu.

Your GPS must have a feature mine doesn't, cause I ain't got no "Previous Routes Menu". All I have is:

Route to New Destination
Stop Route
Recalculate Route
Edit Route
Detour

There is positively no way to save a route and recall it later. The only route that is saved is the Active Route you are on when you shut off the key.

There is a "By Previous Find" menu item, but that is of no use when you build a route with multiple vias in it.

Honda blew it by not letting you load routes from a PC or save routes and reuse them or reverse them. As a result, the GPS on this bike is pretty much useless for routes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 09 and not having the issues that some of you are having.
I put my route in, sometimes a couple of days before my ride, and the map is still there when I'm ready to go. If I stop of gas, to eat or whatever else, the map starts where I stopped. It does not take me back to the beginning nor do I lose the map until I stop the route.
I do wish I could download the route and/or have multiple routes in there. I miss being able to do that, used to having regular Garmin GPS units on my previous bikes.

Ken

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your GPS must have a feature mine doesn't, cause I ain't got no "Previous Routes Menu". All I have is:

Route to New Destination
Stop Route
Recalculate Route
Edit Route
Detour

There is positively no way to save a route and recall it later. The only route that is saved is the Active Route you are on when you shut off the key.

There is a "By Previous Find" menu item, but that is of no use when you build a route with multiple vias in it.

Honda blew it by not letting you load routes from a PC or save routes and reuse them or reverse them. As a result, the GPS on this bike is pretty much useless for routes.
Bingo!

Everyone here giving me shiot...

There is no SAVE button...

If anyone here knows of sucha button on an 09, please take a pic and prove me wrong.

If you can save multiple routes on an 09, again, please take a pic and prove me wrong.

And my previous route did not even save...when I started bike...there was nothing there....NADDA!

UPDATE: Pulled SD card and reinstalled, now my CURRENT route will stay on key off/on...but you still CANNONT store routes. Also, if you "stop route" and turn off key, there will be no "resume route" when you turn it back on...the route is GONE.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I have a 09 and not having the issues that some of you are having.
I put my route in, sometimes a couple of days before my ride, and the map is still there when I'm ready to go. If I stop of gas, to eat or whatever else, the map starts where I stopped. It does not take me back to the beginning nor do I lose the map until I stop the route.
I do wish I could download the route and/or have multiple routes in there. I miss being able to do that, used to having regular Garmin GPS units on my previous bikes.

Ken
Ken,

Try adding a bunch of vias. Then stop for lunch after you have passed some of those vias on the route. When you turn the bike back on, the Navi knows were you are but doesn't realize that you have already driven past the previous vias. It doesn't store our progress on the route.

The system isn't impossible to use. It's just not as convenient as the add on types. Just take a bit of patience. Heck, I'm gonna use it on a 6k plus trip from VA to Yellowstone and back over 3 weeks.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Bingo!

Everyone here giving me shiot...

There is no SAVE button...

If anyone here knows of ushc a button on an 09, please take a pic and prove me wrong.

If you can save multiple routes on an 09, again, please take a pic and prove me wrong.

And my previous route did not even save...when I started bike...there was nothing there....NADDA!
Just saying I never had it drop a route on me once I punched it in and got underway. I have had it drop a route on me when I punched it in and then turn the bike off without riding.

I use favorites sequentially number for my routes. Very easy to punch them in and sort them quickly.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The way I understand it on my 08,
I can save destinations...like home,
or Bob's house. It will keep these
until I delete them. These are
only saved using Navi's route,
with no stops along the way.
I can't save "routes" that I
have programmed..with stops
along the way that might not be on the
"best or fastest" way to get somewhere.
It will save a route while I'm using it,
even if I shut the bike off. But if
I switch the Navi to any other function
during that route...it will lose it.

It only saves destinations, then actually
re-calculates to them if I open them again.
Poor design

·
Registered
1,906 Posts

Route to New Destination
Stop Route
Recalculate Route
Edit Route
Detour

I just went out and checked and I stand corrected...........I swear I saw a save when you create a route with vias but obviously I was mistaken.
It does save all previous locations you have routed but as you said only the ones without vias.

Back to the original question.........
If it's not automatically saving the current active route you have programmed when the bike is shut off, whether it has vias or not, then you have an issue with your GPS.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts