GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new front tire on a new chrome wheel but I'am having a hard time getting it to air up. I tried putting a strap around and took out valve stem. just can't get it to seal. The soapy lube is dried up, does that matter or is that just to get tire on rim?

Tire is room temp. Any other tip I should try??

By the way this is on the Road Glide not the Wing, but I know you guys are smarter than the other board. I'll be doing the Wing next week when I get rim back from polisher.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Mike,

Put the tire right side up, just like it would be when mounted on the bike. Bounce it on the ground or a 2X4 nice and gently.

Put the valve stem in the 6 o'clock position and put the air to it.

Also you need to take the valve core out, so that you get a full burst of air.

This usually works for me.

Good Luck.

Bulldog

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have one air chuck with the core depressing part out, leaving a rubber washer only. The chuck has a quick dis-connect, same as my air compressor line. The tank is set at max which is 140PSI for my old rig. I take the valve core out of the stem, hold the air chuck onto the stem and then hook up the 140PSI air line. The bead will pop out within a few seconds. You do want to pull the air chuck off as soon as the bead pops out because you don't want to put 140 lbs of air in your tire!

I used to do all that other stuff untill I figured this out. It is a lot easier.

·
Vendor
21,390 Posts
You need a compressor and tank that can flow a high volume of air. If yours isn't doing the job, you might need to take the wheel over to a tire shop that has a larger air tank.

Some tires are harder than others to get to seat. Trailer tire downs around the circumference sometimes help on really difficult ones. If you know it is a going to be a difficult tire to bead, you can prop the beads apart with small blocks of wood BEFORE you mount the tire, to try to spread it open, and let it sit that way overnight.

The advice above about removing the center core of the air chuck also helps.

Putting a light application of tire lube on the very center of the valley of the rim will also help the tires carcass to be able to spread open and seat easier.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Freds tip about using wood blocks to spread the beads overnite has worked well for me

i havn't had that problem with GL1800 tires but years ago on some of my mail order GL1500 tires they were shipped with heavy duty tie wraps that caused the beads on the front tires to get compressed a lot, the wood blocks to spread the beads overnite trick worked great every time

·
Registered
29 Posts
lube it again and if it still doesn't pop out tighten a ratchet type tie down around the tire to make the sidewalls bulge out.....
good luck---
sonny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts