GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, introducing myself and saying hello to all here. Been lurking and have shot out a few posts already. Thanks for this board and the pre-purchase education.

Had a GL1500 about 7 years ago and loved it but sold it for more than I bought if for after 3 years – price was right so had to let it go. Recently sold my 2000 HD Ultra as it let me down too many times on the side of the road after 40K miles. Purchased a new 2006 level 4 color black a couple weeks ago and now have put more than 1K miles on it. Here is my feedback.

Never road an 1800 before purchase but figured all you guys here can’t be wrong. Sat on one for over an hour at a dealer watching TV while the HD was getting fixed. Bad idea as it sucked me back into winger world.

Power is way strong, gotta constantly watch dashboard for going too fast as the bike feels that same between 30-40 and 60 -80mph. Entering freeway ramps at 80 is all to easy!

Took a few hundred miles before brakes worked well – they don’t grab when brand new. They all grab wonderfully now however.

Did an oil change myself at 750 miles – what a cakewalk. Gotta like the center stand and filter/plug on the front of bike instead of under bike. Oil filter wrench is still the same stamped out sheet metal gold anodized rig. Made me chuckle when I bought the new wrench. Sold my old wrench with the 1500.

No steering wobble at all – although I don’t ride no handed! 1 handed from time to time with no problems. Why do people ride no handed?

Left side bag opens hard but not so much to be a pain in the butt.

From time to time, bags show up randomly as open when bike first starts up. Never after it has been running. Tap the bag, and the switch bounces, display goes off. I’m not sure it is the switch itself that causes the open bag on the display. I’m beginning to think it’s electrical noise in all the wiring/cabling that activates it. Especially seen it’s only on restarting the bike and many bikes seem to have this problem. I’d love to hard wire a small light bulb to each switch and do some testing. As in display is on saying a bag is open but a hard wired light to switch does not come on thus confirming it’s not the switch.

Suspension front and rear seems to ride very different as temp goes from 40-80 degrees. Rides noticeably harder as temp goes down. Could be tires also.

Airhawk seat cushions don’t work with heated seats. Heat doesn’t transfer. Aqua-Air probably don't work either.

Thanks Honda for putting a real horn on a bike. No loud pipes needed.

Heated hand grips must be from a snowmobile. They get way toasty!

Trunk lid squeaks on bumps. Also lots of wear marks already on those little alignment nubbies. How do you cover them or modify them to keep wear down to a minimum?

Why do cars and SUVs with the new European tail lights always wanna race me?

Does Hal sell cards that look like a helicopter pilot license? May come in handy if I ever get pulled over.

500 bucks for a 7 year no deductible unlimited miles warranty. No Way!

What’s supposed to go in the bottom/hidden door area of trunk?

When should 2nd oil change really be done? At 4000K or before?

Love this bike after 1000 miles. Dunno if black is the fastest color, but it sure looks the best! When it’s perfectly clean.

My dealer has a bunch of crush washers and tires. No problems here!

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
First off, welcome aboard, lots of smart people here ( I'm not one of them :lol: )

The small compartment is for the CD player, I never installed one and use it for a hideaway or I'm going to use it for my power accessory hookup on the 07 ( GPS, Gerbing Etc..)

They want to race because it looks fast....

Oil changes are at 4000 mile intervals, but it's you bike, change it when you want.... 8)

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
WELCOME!!!

By the way Black is the fastest....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome aboard.

I second what Gwl said, black IS the fastest. :D

Dep

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome aboard.

The cubbie hole in the truck, holds both CD and CB. CB on the bottom and CD on top of the CB.

The oil change interval on my '03 according to Honda is 8,000 miles. But I change it every 4,000 miles.

You can get the 4 year warranty, thats 3 years stock and 4 years extended for a total of 7 years, from our board sponser for a lot less than $500.

As for the wear on the trunk nubbies. I put teflon tape across the area where the trunk rubs. Stopped the wear for me. I also, put in tubing in the weather stripping and also added Rubber Baby Bumpers. Over kill, but I'm kinda anal.

Hope this helps.

John

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I'll second the Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers for protecting the trunk and lid from wear and to eliminate the squeaking. I tried teflon tape, then tubing in the rubber seal, and still had problems until I made it to the Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers. They can be found at http://www.dixonymachine.com/products.htm . You may as well buy two packs right off the bat. Sometimes you'll lose a a piece just from pulling stuff in and out of the trunk.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Black?

Nah. Red (dark, as in '06) is faster.
First - welcome. I'm relatively new here as well (~9 months).
Bought my '06 in January. Just under 6k miles now (including round-trip to/from Vegas).
Bike is fabulous.
I store my winter gloves in that little cubby hole. You'd be a nut (IMHO) to spend the kind of $$ they want for a CD player.
As for trunk rubbing - go to your local Home Depot / Lowes / etc and get come furniture pads. These are very small round felt pads with a sticky tape backing. Just one or two here and there and all the rubbing / squeeking are gone.
Now, once you add some shark fins and street sweeper tail-pipe ends - you'll have a truly great looking bike!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Hello, and welcome. I just got my new black wing in July so I'm just ahead of you in miles. I changed my oil at 700 first time and just last weekend at a little of 3000. I'll probably go between 3-4K on changes.

If the left bag is a little funky....just wait ti will likely get more funky. I've had a fit with mine....but at first it was hit or miss, and finally broke a clip. I fixed it myself......at least for now.....time will tell. I should not open hard....that's the way mine did dhortly before it broke. Let me sugest you try loosening the black "loop" hootuses that is on the door just enough to get them to reset themselves inthe latches, and open/close it a few times and then re-tighten and see if that is smoother. Mine is a very easy open now after much tweaking.....I'll share it with you if you're interested.

My bag open lights are just the same!

Otherwise mine is awesome.....and we're digging it a lot!

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Welcome!!!

Found the wear points on the trunk lid and put the soft part of velcro to cover the spots. No more rubbing, as in a earlier post, teflon tape works great too. :D

later..Randy

·
Registered
280 Posts
Welcome back to the World of the Wing, and yes now Black is the fastest.
Yellow was always the fastest and I think that they stopped the Yellow Production for liability reasons. Mother Honda thinks that all us "Old Farts" should not be able to go a fast as Yellow ones were capable of so no more Yellow. They detuned the Yellow they had and repainted them Black, thats why they are the fastest now.

All kidding aside, enjoy the Ride and Welcome Back

P

·
0 Posts
Hi Joel

Welcome to the board. I guess all the questins have been answered except the helo ID. Make Hal an offer he can't refuse and he'll probably come up with something unusual. :lol:

Many happy miles on the new two to you.

Pat

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Welcome. First oil change at 4,000. Every 8,000 from then on (per Honda). I change mine with Rotella T Syn every 8,000 miles. It is never low or dirty.

Your display problem doesn't sound like the standard latch problem. May need a sensor adjustment. Let them do it under warranty. I still have my original crappy latch on my bags. I just push in on the left side bag door when I trigger the release. No problems in 4 years. Your latch should be much more robust.

It just never gets old to me. The smooth, instant start, the quiet effortless power to squirt away from a stop sign. The stable, predictable, yet willing way that it handles curves.

It's a sweet ride. By far the best compromise of functionality of the dozens of bikes I've had.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have to join in with you on your initial thread. Just completed my first 1000 miles on my new(ish) Wing. It had 800 when I purchased it.

I have to agree with everyting you said except so far my left bag is working fine. Yes, I get a right bag open light quite often but like you said, just a little tap and it goes away.

Dark Red is pretty fast....... maybe just a tad faster than a super clean Black 8)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the tips, love, etc. Been a very fun summer driving all over MN, WI, and IA trying to find my past. Was looking for old V65 Sabre with Hondaline fairing from the 80's and an old Suzuki GS850L. Had the Suzuki as my first real streat bike in the late 80's and always wanted a Sabre. Not enough burger flipping money back then to buy a new Sabre. :cry: Found a bunch of them around this summer but all of them are toast, run like crap, rattle like a marble can, or had electrical gremlins. Amazingly I did end up with my past. Another Goldwing! :D My black wing will never be all the way clean until next spring or maybe way late this fall. Remember that drought summer we just had. Well ever since I bought the new wing, it's been raining 3 or 4 days out of the last 7 for three weeks in a row. Naturally it's all my fault. Riding a new toy in the rain aint all that bad. Keeps the bugs off. :shock:

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Hi Joel,
Congrats on the new BLACK WING. My left bag is also a little more difficult to open than the right. I have found that if I pull the lever twice (double clutch it) it open ok. I also figured out my left bag has to be pushed closed on the front portion. Only when I do this can I hear the latch mechanism click shut. Then I have no bag ajar light. And like everybody knows: Real men ride BLACK 8)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Got mine in July and just turned over 12,000. Some of the problems you talked about, latch problems and open warning lights sound like Dealer problems. As to the extended warrenty Hal runs it on sale so just wait.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Welcome! Glad to see another Minn rider. Pretty soon we'll outnumber those guys down south!!!! LOL :D :D

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MJM said:
Welcome! Glad to see another Minn rider. Pretty soon we'll outnumber those guys down south!!!! LOL :D :D
As summer in MN is only 3 months, our bikes will always be worth more as the mileage will be waaaaay less. Sun doesn't cook the paint or the seats either. I'm sure I'll be a genuine old fart by the time this bike wears out. Speaking of MN, what winger events are in MN? Anything in the twin cities area?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Open your trunk lid and rub a QTip full of Moly Paste on the hinges and around that area. Squeaks will disappear right away. I also rub a little of that wherever plastic meets rubber and those squeaks are gone also. Two minute fix and it's lasted all summer.
Kevin

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Seems like you have all the answers.

We'll just have to get ya more questions now !
Welcome aboard, and try to keep that GRIN off yer face !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts