GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iknow that most people think safety is a full face helmet but most M C police officers Have 1/2
Helmet . I am looking for more comfort in the summer time . full helmets are too hot and heat strokes are dangerous also.I would appreciate any information you guys have on three quarter or half helmets.
Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I bought a Seer 1/2 helmet last year. These are the same helmets many motorcycle cops use. I had mine painted the same color as my trike. It clearly is a high quality helmet and the cooling effect during hot weather is fantastic! That's the main reason why I bought it! Here's the link;

http://www.superseer.com/

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a Nolan 3/4 helmet with removable shield. Nice when it's nice out with the shield off, don't like the fish bowl effect with it on tho. I usually wear my modular. I personally don't find it any hotter than the 3/4.

·
Banned
792 Posts
I bought a Seer 1/2 helmet last year. These are the same helmets many motorcycle cops use. I had mine painted the same color as my trike. It clearly is a high quality helmet and the cooling effect during hot weather is fantastic! That's the main reason why I bought it! Here's the link;

http://www.superseer.com/
I would consider this to be a 3/4 helmet and I have never seen any cop wear a 1/2 helmet. I also see more and more police wearing the modular helmets so they can open them up when needed and close them for riding safety.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I would consider this to be a 3/4 helmet and I have never seen any cop wear a 1/2 helmet. I also see more and more police wearing the modular helmets so they can open them up when needed and close them for riding safety.
The photo on the main page is a 3/4 helmet. They also make 1/2 helmets if that's what the OP really wants. Follow this link;

http://www.superseer.com/helmet_touring_custom.asp

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was in a local shop last week looking at new helmets. One I looked at was the Shark Evoline. The sales person said a lot of police are going to this helmet, since it can be used as full face or open face and is the only helmet approved for both uses. Here is the Revzilla review:

http://www.revzilla.com/shark-evoline

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I was in a local shop last week looking at new helmets. One I looked at was the Shark Evoline. The sales person said a lot of police are going to this helmet, since it can be used as full face or open face and is the only helmet approved for both uses. Here is the Revzilla review:

I love my Seer 1/2 helmet for the hot weather! But I'll admit that my choice for a helmet for cooler weather woulfd be the Shark Evoline!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
495 Posts

The Nolan N104 is rated both full face and with the chin bar up.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
When looking at Law Enforcement, always remember a numbers cruncher sitting in an air conditioned office is likely making the final decision. Why do LEOs ride Harley's? "cause they are the best!" Yeah, right. It's more likely the Chief had/has one, and, Mother Harley makes them a deal even I would have a hard time turning down. Our friend above commented he never sees LEOs wearing 1/2 helmets. He is also in CA. Studies have shown wearing a shorty helmet is not only less safe, but it also contributes to hearing damage. Loud radios, sirens and engine noise, all contribute to accumulative damage. Used to, CA limited how many hours a day a LEO could ride a M/C and a 1/2 helmet because of the hearing damage.

Seems I have ascended onto Mt. Soapbox. Sorry. Manufacturers like to get a Law Enforcement contract so the public will see officers using their product, and think it must be the best. Sales usually go up in an area where they get a large police contract. The larger the department, the less input the guy on the street (who uses the product) has. Okay, it's hard to get off a soapbox. Again, sorry.

Try all types, and notice which ones you have to turn your music up louder to hear.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I am one who CAN NOT wear a full coverage helmet,, never have way too hot,, I even tried to buy one of the peltier effect A/C helmets 15 years or so ago .. DID not work worth a crap,,, Last time I tried to wear a full coverage I ended up in a field passed out.
ref safety I DO NOT use those joke helmets ,, read novelty helmets, one, they are not legal here, and two they are useless at any impact speed. I was wearing my wifes brand new half helmet when I was rear ended on the highway back in October.. Helmet absorbed initial road impact and then protected me when the vehicle that hit me let off the brakes and started pushing me and the bike down the road, in the process his front tire tried to climb over my head.. Had his tire prints on one side of the helmet and the grind marks on other side where the helmet took a sliding beat in the pavement.

Legally tested half helmets are just as thick if not more so then the 3/4 and full. Anything you see less than that are the joke helmets

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would like to try all helmets but my pockets are not deep enough and you would think that Houston Texas would have ever helmet but Internet buying is the way of the world these days And that is the problem looking at all. Can cost a fortune shipping helmets back and forth

·
Registered
198 Posts
Where what you want! I wear a 1/2 in the summer on short rides, but use the full on long rides just to keep the sun off my face, tinted visors, and built in comms..

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
When looking at Law Enforcement, always remember a numbers cruncher sitting in an air conditioned office is likely making the final decision. Why do LEOs ride Harley's? "cause they are the best!" Yeah, right. It's more likely the Chief had/has one, and, Mother Harley makes them a deal even I would have a hard time turning down. Our friend above commented he never sees LEOs wearing 1/2 helmets. He is also in CA. Studies have shown wearing a shorty helmet is not only less safe, but it also contributes to hearing damage. Loud radios, sirens and engine noise, all contribute to accumulative damage. Used to, CA limited how many hours a day a LEO could ride a M/C and a 1/2 helmet because of the hearing damage.

Seems I have ascended onto Mt. Soapbox. Sorry. Manufacturers like to get a Law Enforcement contract so the public will see officers using their product, and think it must be the best. Sales usually go up in an area where they get a large police contract. The larger the department, the less input the guy on the street (who uses the product) has. Okay, it's hard to get off a soapbox. Again, sorry.

Try all types, and notice which ones you have to turn your music up louder to hear.
Personally, I only own full face helmets, but when someone starts off like the original poster started, they really don't need or want a safety pitch.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I haven't worn a helmet in 25 years (actually don't own one).

If I did wear a helmet (but I don't because helmets are stupid), I would probably wear a Bell 500.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I generally wear a full face, but have both 3/4 & 1/2 that I wear on occasions, I find the 1/2 to be the most comfortable, Shoei is my brand of choice. jmop

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I haven't worn a helmet in 25 years (actually don't own one).

If I did wear a helmet (but I don't because helmets are stupid), I would probably wear a Bell 500.
Curious,,, what IQ test did you administer to your last helmet to determine if it was "stupid"

I am still alive and not a veggie because my last stupid helmet took the beating that the hit and run driver did to me

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Curious,,, what IQ test did you administer to your last helmet to determine if it was "stupid"

I am still alive and not a veggie because my last stupid helmet took the beating that the hit and run driver did to me
Cool.:thumbup:

·
Banned
2,290 Posts

·
Banned
792 Posts
Studies have shown wearing a shorty helmet is not only less safe, but it also contributes to hearing damage. Loud radios, sirens and engine noise, all contribute to accumulative damage.
I used to not wear helmets before they were made mandatory and then I wore those little half helmets that were most likely worthless and for 30 years I rode various noisy ass Harleys which is probably why I have constant ringing in my ears. It was only up until a few years back that I bought my wife and me a 3/4 HJC and she wore her face bubble that I did not like. I have now switched us both to Shoei Neotecs and I would now feel very uncomfortable wearing anything but this, even when it is warm. I just open things up for some air now and then.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts