GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I spent a lot of time as a kid at the Local Drag Strip but never actually drove down one in a car or bike. Well that changed today. They had the AMDRA at Maryland International Raceway this weekend, so the son and I spent the day there today. I found out when we got there for 10 bucks I could run the bike so I figured Id give it a shot! 1st run 13.467 @ 98.53 mph, 2nd run 13.148 @100.15 mph, I did about 6 runs all together. 13.148 was my best run and the average was like 13.250. I need to practive my holeshot. The last run I let the clutch out too quick at about 4000 rpm's and brought the front end up about 4 feet according to my son, didnt let off of her though and she came down easy! Man I had some serious fun!!!!!!!!!!!! I beat a new Victory and a Harley Road King. The son said the people in the stands went crazy when they saw a Big Ole Goldwing pulling a wheelie off the line!!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Cool Beans!

Any final speed >100mph is downright respectable... :D :D
(And, you picked the right spot for testing performance!)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Sweet......think they can really get into the low 12's as is reported??

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
steve s said:
Sweet......think they can really get into the low 12's as is reported??
I think with a few more runs and figuring out the best way to get off the Line I could of got her maybe around 12.80 - 12.90. I think anything better would have to come from a more seasoned Bike Dragger.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Rolling_Thunder said:
[quote="steve s":308lyn4z]Sweet......think they can really get into the low 12's as is reported??
I think with a few more runs and figuring out the best way to get off the Line I could of got her maybe around 12.80 - 12.90. I think anything better would have to come from a more seasoned Bike Dragger.[/quote:308lyn4z]

Lighten your bike as much as possible, lower the pressure in your rear tire, and make sure your windshield is all the way down and you might be able to hit a 12.9. Those .10's are hard to come by. :wink:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have seen them run in the low 12's and a couple of high 11's' the key is a 4000 rpm launch in 2 gear. a couple of years ago at the honda homecoming a member of this board did a 11.1 on the dyno drags, with a lot of witnesses including myself.

·
Registered
552 Posts
gmk1800 said:
I have seen them run in the low 12's and a couple of high 11's' the key is a 4000 rpm launch in 2 gear. a couple of years ago at the honda homecoming a member of this board did a 11.1 on the dyno drags, with a lot of witnesses including myself.
The "dyno drags" are for entertainment purposes only and are not a gauge by which to measure real time performance or 1/4 mile times.

Just for sh!ts and giggles, I ran my Ultra on one up in Sturgis a few years ago. I turned a 12.5 sec 1/4 mile @111 mph.

It felt good to say that I had a 12 second Harley, but in reality I knew better... :wink:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rolling_Thunder said:
1st run 13.467 @ 98.53 mph, 2nd run 13.148 @100.15 mph, I did about 6 runs all together. 13.148 was my best run and the average was like 13.250. !
I went to a website today called motorcyclist online and it listed the 01 GL1800ABS at a track at 12.78/ @ 103.3 mph.

I think they made about 5 runs at it/

·
Registered
552 Posts
99REDWING said:
Rolling_Thunder said:
1st run 13.467 @ 98.53 mph, 2nd run 13.148 @100.15 mph, I did about 6 runs all together. 13.148 was my best run and the average was like 13.250. !
I went to a website today called motorcyclist online and it listed the 01 GL1800ABS at a track at 12.78/ @ 103.3 mph.

Believe it or not, the 01 wings are the fastest. It had to do with the fuel curve that is programmed into the ECM. A buddy of mine has an 01 and we switched bikes and I could definitely tell his was more snappier than mine.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Believe it or not, the 01 wings are the fastest. It had to do with the fuel curve that is programmed into the ECM. A buddy of mine has an 01 and we switched bikes and I could definitely tell his was more snappier than mine.[/quote] hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
99REDWING said:
Rolling_Thunder said:

Those mid to low 12 second runs were done by professional riders testing for mags like Cycle World. But even for the everyday rider the Wing will turn some real "butt kickin" numbers and pulls hard enough when needed.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
What type of gear did they make you wear? Full leathers or were textiles permitted on the track?
I wanted to do that type of run at Morosso once but they required leathers.
Have you ever seen leathers made for a 6'5" 280-lb rider? :lol:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
motorcyclist magazine and car and driver magazines all use the same criteria , a start from idle , they due not due a 4grand launch.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Arn Butt Bill said:
What type of gear did they make you wear? Full leathers or were textiles permitted on the track?
helmet,leather gloves, leather jacket, blue jeans and boots!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gmk1800 said:
Something tells me I'll be doing this again. The 2nd gear starts sounds like a good idea I'll give it a shot!! The Dyno runs dont factor in Track conditions, wind... their just for show!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
If you're just running a gold wing (under 120 mph), most tracks just require a helmet, gloves, jacket, pants and boots. If you're over 120 mph thru the quarter, then you have to have full leathers and a tethered kill switch.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Rolling_Thunder said:
Something tells me I'll be doing this again. The 2nd gear starts sounds like a good idea I'll give it a shot!! The Dyno runs dont factor in Track conditions, wind... their just for show!
2nd gear starts don't work on a GL1800... trust me. The runs you've done are pretty decent given your experience. A little more practice and you may be able to drop a couple tenths.

·
Registered
193 Posts
tvbveb said:
Those mid to low 12 second runs were done by professional riders testing for mags like Cycle World. But even for the everyday rider the Wing will turn some real "butt kickin" numbers and pulls hard enough when needed.
The magazines all test under extremely controlled conditions including proffessional riders and weather and altitude correction (all times are corrected to 59 degrees and 29.92 inches of Mercury). The bike tested by Motorcyclist Magazine was a 2001 model year and is listed a 12.78 sec / 103.3 MPH.

Your results may vary. :wink:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts