GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals ... I'm getting real close to the recommended 1,500 mile check up. Just wondering what they do to it?:shrug:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Uh... call the dealer doing the work and ask them? That way there is no guessing.

Wait for it.... wait.... ok now be prepaired to get about a dozen folks reply with their guesses.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I think they take the seat off and check the oil. :joke:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh... call the dealer doing the work and ask them? That way there is no guessing.

Wait for it.... wait.... ok now be prepaired to get about a dozen folks reply with their guesses.

The reason I asked here is because I would rather have an idea of what should be done ... see they are paying for it. If they want to just walk around it whistling Dixie it doesn't matter to me .... as long as that is what they are supposed to do. I would rather have had an answer from someone that has had it done instead of the dealer. I thought that a 1,500 mile check up was standard procedure for the warranty.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The reason I asked here is because I would rather have an idea of what should be done ... see they are paying for it. If they want to just walk around it whistling Dixie it doesn't matter to me .... as long as that is what they are supposed to do. I would rather have had an answer from someone that has had it done instead of the dealer. I thought that a 1,500 mile check up was standard procedure for the warranty.
So you want us to be serious huh?? Quit messing around.

As far as I know there is no 1500 mile check, there is no 600 mile check and the first legit check on a new bike is at 4000 miles.

About all they do is change the oil, even the rear drive lube is way off something like 24 K or something.

So they change the oil, walk around the bike and do little else. They are not going to check the steering heads, bolts and so on, they might say they do but they do not.

Best change your own oil, at your preferred mileage interval, do a visual on the brakes, hoses, bolts, shake, pull , push, look for things, and so on.

You the rider will do a much better check over than they do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you want us to be serious huh?? Quit messing around.

As far as I know there is no 1500 mile check, there is no 600 mile check and the first legit check on a new bike is at 4000 miles.

About all they do is change the oil, even the rear drive lube is way off something like 24 K or something.

So they change the oil, walk around the bike and do little else. They are not going to check the steering heads, bolts and so on, they might say they do but they do not.

Best change your own oil, at your preferred mileage interval, do a visual on the brakes, hoses, bolts, shake, pull , push, look for things, and so on.

You the rider will do a much better check over than they do.
Much appreciated friend. I am a former VTX'er and after 600 you had to do valves, oil, etc. This beast is new to me and I will have many questions. I surely don't mind getting "stroked" as I can take what I dish out.;) but it is nice to find a serious answer mixed in when you need it.

Thanks again,

Len

Yes ... a manual is on the way.:lol:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
About all they do is check nuts and bolts.... making sure nothing is loose or leaking..Tires,fluids etc. It is a free check up to cover their butts...

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Kit covered it very well
I will only add,
1. Get a shop manual
2. Follow the maintenance schedule(at least during the warranty period)
3. Save all receipts-document what you do.
4. Enjoy the DIY benefits of learning your bike and saving a ton of money for gas &/or Accessories.
You can actually save enough on 2 major schedule services to pay for nice table lift if you want one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kit covered it very well
I will only add,
1. Get a shop manual
2. Follow the maintenance schedule(at least during the warranty period)
3. Save all receipts-document what you do.
4. Enjoy the DIY benefits of learning your bike and saving a ton of money for gas &/or Accessories.
You can actually save enough on 2 major schedule services to pay for nice table lift if you want one.
Thank you for your advice and thank you for your service.;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much! I am waiting on the owners manual and service manual. (They couldn't find the owner's manual.) I will print that out and hang it in the shop. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Looks like it has been covered pretty well. The only 1500 mile check is the dealer checking your funds. Honda says 4K.

:congrats: On the new ride. have many happy safe (s)miles on it.

Oh yea, Just in case I missed the chance earlier, Welcome to the Madd House.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
seriously, try to avoid the "dealers"
(unless you're one of the lucky ones)

... for the most part, imho, even you do somehow manage to get
what you paid for.. they'll often do damage (break or lose parts)
that you'll not be aware of until much later.

For a catastrophic failure.. ok, maybe the dealer
.. for anything else, learn to do it yourself.

Dennis

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
seriously, try to avoid the "dealers"
(unless you're one of the lucky ones)

... for the most part, imho, even you do somehow manage to get
what you paid for.. they'll often do damage (break or lose parts)
that you'll not be aware of until much later.

For a catastrophic failure.. ok, maybe the dealer
.. for anything else, learn to do it yourself.

Dennis
Advice taken. I did all the wrenching and mods on my X. This is a different animal though so expect a lot of questions. I have some good friends in other parts of the country (that belong to this board), that have already been a tremendous help as many of you have been also. If nothing else I should get a free oil change.:shrug:

·
Registered
355 Posts
When I bought my 2009, 1st check was 4,000 miles. The dealer sent me a special coupon for free oil/filter @ 600 miles. I took him up on it. Only cost me $88 for labor. I was OK with that as it gave the dealer a chance to look things over. I have a good dealer.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Only cost me $88 for labor. I was OK with that as it gave the dealer a chance to look things over. I have a good dealer.
$88 labor for a procedure that takes less than 10 minutes? That is not my definition of "a good dealer". What things did he look over? Did he provide a list? Why do anything at 600 miles when the owner's manual calls for 4000 miles? Is Honda not trustworthy to provide adequate service information?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts