GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this short article amazing:

CAPE CANAVERAL, FLA.: Weather favorable for shuttle launch

The weather forecast for the planned liftoff of Discovery on Thursday remained favorable for a 9:35 p.m. launch at the Kennedy Space Center -- the first night shuttle launch in more than four years.

NASA likely won't try to launch past Dec. 17 because flight controllers want Discovery on the ground by Jan. 1. Shuttle computers aren't designed to make the change from the last day of the old year to the first day of the new year while in flight.
And we complain because are Goldwings don't come with a CB radio for $20k. :?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
The scary part is the fact that the people who are being paid six and seven digit salaries cannot find a way around this little problem... We need to give them more tax dollars to waist............................. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
5Ross said:
The scary part is the fact that the people who are being paid six and seven digit salaries cannot find a way around this little problem... We need to give them more tax dollars to waist............................. :wink: :wink:
or a pencil to write with.

:shock:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Most of those computers are running 286 processors - you may remember, the "brain dead" chip? NASA says it is too expensive and risky to change to new ones now, what with all the programming they'd have to do. At some time, they've got to update - but guess not this year.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Great, these guys can invent TANG, but can't figure out a date change in a computer :banghead:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
My daughter is looking for a job. She was one of the techs that fixed all the y2k problems back in '99. Maybe she could teach them a thing or two? :roll:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
What concerns me.... is the fact that these guys have the lives of the astronalts in their hands... I would be rather sceptic about riding on the shuttle with those guys programming the route...

cosmic

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Just remember, all of those component contracts go to the LOW bidder. :shock:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I wish the 286, Bob. I've read that the computer design for the shuttle was frozen in 1973. About the same power as a simple pocket calculator.

It won't be changed. The Shuttle is scheduled to be retired soon.

This is what happens when a bureaucracy reaches it's third generation.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Shoot, that would make it pre-86 series processors. Does that mean it operates on CPM or maybe one of the early UNIX iterations?

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Okay Dweebs, enough bad mouthing stuff you know nothing about. The programming for most of the shuttle software was done before they days of Object Oriented Programming. Considering there are thousands of subsystems on the Shuttle that interface with time and date output its really a marvel of programming that this stuff is still useful considering it pre-dated object oriented programming.

And if you think the processors used for spacecraft is as simple as the processors you use in your home pc.... well..... lets just say its a good thing that the space program is in other hands than yours.

And when people are ready to push for adequate funding for a first class space program instead of relying on R&D from College Departments enhancing 30 year old technology, perhaps then we might see the capability of relatively inexpensive updates?

I thought most of the guys around here knew better than to show how little they know about something that has nothing to do with themselves.

Perhaps I sound a little too sensitive about this issue? Thats because I have to do more than just talk about it.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
http://history.nasa.gov/sts1/pages/computer.html

Not sure who you're taking to, Dorian. This link shows that my information was precisely correct. the IBM AP-101B flight computer hardware platform for the Shuttle was set in stone in 1973. It is unimaginably weak by standards of the computers most of these folks are familiar with.

5 of these are used with high redundancy of function.

There have been slight upgrades to the "S" and workarounds that involve offloading tasks to others systems, but essentially stone age computers.

I've put in 10s of thousands of lines of pre OO, pre event driven, procedural code. Much of it in various versions of Macro Assembler, but a good deal in chip specific machine in the early days.

The RAD developed expert systems stuff that I write nowadays seems like cheating. I could even teach a liberal arts major to do this stuff. :lol:

I actually agree about the constant cutting of funding for the shuttle program. I think the biggest mistake was the scrapping of the controllable thruster boosters for the brilliant strategy of strapping some bottle rockets on their ass and firing 'em off. Gee, who could have forseen a problem with that?

·
15 year Member
6,868 Posts
HiYoSilver said:
Found this short article amazing:

CAPE CANAVERAL, FLA.: Weather favorable for shuttle launch

The weather forecast for the planned liftoff of Discovery on Thursday remained favorable for a 9:35 p.m. launch at the Kennedy Space Center -- the first night shuttle launch in more than four years.

NASA likely won't try to launch past Dec. 17 because flight controllers want Discovery on the ground by Jan. 1. Shuttle computers aren't designed to make the change from the last day of the old year to the first day of the new year while in flight.
And we complain because are Goldwings don't come with a CB radio for $20k. :?
If the computers can't tell the difference why don't they just make December 41 days long??? and what the difference anyway? why does it need to know the date?? I will admit now... I AM NOT a rocket scientest..

Matt(Ashland,MA) hell I am not even sure I spelled it right.. :shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts