GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) I bought a set of the REG Handlebar Risers for my 06 w/ NAV and looked at the setup today. I'm wondering if the risers will work with the large NAV screen. Just seems as though there is not enough room under the meter panel. Anyone done this ??? :shock:

2) What am I in for trying to remove the panel for the first time ??? Manuel states 4 mounting screws and one nut w/ washer. Is that really located behind the panel and can I get to it from the top?? H E L P !! :(

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
The instructions you describe are to remove the meter assembly. You just need to remove the grey plastic meter panel cover around the key and speakers. No nuts, bolts, or tools involved.

Remove the trim around the key switch with your fingernails. The panel is held in place with rubber grommets like the sidecovers, just pull up and back a little. You will have wires under this panel in front of the switch and a wire at each speaker to disconnect.

If you do a search there's some great pics and instructions that showed up on this board not too long ago.

I can't tell you anything about the REG risers. I use MBL risers but I haven't installed them on my '06 yet. I haven't heard of any problem with the fit.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Re: 1 )REG's Handlebar Risers and 06 w/ NAV 2) removal of m

Tommy T said:
1) I bought a set of the REG Handlebar Risers for my 06 w/ NAV and looked at the setup today. I'm wondering if the risers will work with the large NAV screen. Just seems as though there is not enough room under the meter panel. Anyone done this ??? :shock:

2) What am I in for trying to remove the panel for the first time ??? Manuel states 4 mounting screws and one nut w/ washer. Is that really located behind the panel and can I get to it from the top?? H E L P !! :(
Hello Tommy,
I'm gonna buy some REG risers for my bike also. let me know what ya run into on the installation afterwards and or any tips you have in a p.m. Txs, Terry

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the meter assembly (Speedo and NAV Screen) that must come off the 06 with NAV to install the REG Risers and have never done that before. Just wanted some guidance here. :)

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Tommy T said:
It's the meter assembly (Speedo and NAV Screen) that must come off the 06 with NAV to install the REG Risers and have never done that before. Just wanted some guidance here. :)
Why? I just walked out and looked at mine. Looks like there is plenty of room to do the riser install without removing the meter assembly! Does the manual say to remove the meter assembly to remove handlebars? I haven't looked.

I'm going to install head bearings in mine, then I know it has to be removed, unlike the earlier models. It looks like a piece of cake to remove. The bolts are right there and I think 3 plugs. Can't see that you will need to remove it to install risers though.

Good Luck.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just installed a set on my 2006. You have to remove the dash cover and then remove the dash it self. It is held in with 4 bolts that go through rubber grommets. The dash will fold up out of the way. I held mine up with a bungie cord over the top of the windshield. Remove the cover over the handle bars and the rest is easy. Good luck.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
harley1425 said:
Just installed a set on my 2006. You have to remove the dash cover and then remove the dash it self. It is held in with 4 bolts that go through rubber grommets. The dash will fold up out of the way. I held mine up with a bungie cord over the top of the windshield. Remove the cover over the handle bars and the rest is easy. Good luck.
Do you have to remove it just to get the plastic fork cover off? Did you reinstall the plastic cover? I just left them off on the earlier ones. Thanks!

I've got to learn all over with this thing. LOL...

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. Yes the shop manuel says to "remove" the cluster, but I will try to work around it first. As a last resort, I'll remove it. Hope I don't have to go that route.

Sooooooooooooo, what about the REG's anyone have or used them ??

·
Registered
309 Posts
Tommy T said:
...Sooooooooooooo, what about the REG's anyone have or used them ??
Lots of us use them. I like them and haven't heard anything bad except the the set screws used to "lock" the bars in place are difficult to get to.

:wink:

·
Registered
101 Posts
REG Risers

I put them on my bike (06 with Nav). Only the meter panel has to be removed. All of the parts can be reinstalled. REG gives you black and chrome fork covers as well and longer bolts with spacers to reinstall that black plastic shield.

The only problem I had was with those little wires clips attached to the tweeters.

I do think however that REG mailed me the wrong bolts. I got 4 bolts, 2 for each side, but all were exactly the same size. The risers are wedge shapes so the heads on the two of the bolts stuck up past the riser on the narrower end.

I do not know if the holes needed to be counter sunk further or the bolts should have had shorter heads, but once I was in the middle of it all I had to use a grinding wheel to cut the heads on 2 of the bolts in order to make the heads flush with the top of the risers.

Just a final note - they repositioned the bars just as I needed and make a world of difference.

RIDE SAFE!

DonNJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts