GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is why we ride Goldwings! I know a lot of us followed Flanga's adventures but there's lots who've haven't had the chance to read his adventures.

If you've never read this you don't know what you're missing. Great story of an avid rider...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310834

Enjoy!

:bow: :yes1: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Ride Around USA ...... been there...done that..... and for charity

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Many of us have done some long trips, but damn few have spent the time and effort to document them. Takes a special person to slow down long enough to take all those pictures and generate the interesting documentary for the rest of us.

I thank him for that. He's very interesting to read and check out his photos. Sure helps to get through the long winters.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I was on road for 23 days with stops (less stops = 17 days road time)
1+ stop (late afternoon and next morning) in GA at Max's
3 day stop in MI (family)
2 days Catscade

Then got home rested 1 1/2 days then Americade for 3 days
Home again 2 days and then headed for Laconia for 1 day

It was one hell of a spring .......

Had my route and posted pic on my charity web site along the way..

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Milbear,
Congratulations on your ride, pretty hard thing to do but well worth the effort.

Chip programmer and Terpen47 started at Key West, Florida, went up the east coast into Canada, across canada. I met up with them in Calgary, then we went to the Top of the World road, crossed into Alaska at Chicken Alaska, went to Fairbanks. I stayed in Fairbanks while Chip and Terry went up the Haul road to Deadhorse. Terry had a problem in the mud and they came back to Fairbanks. We talked Chip into trying the Haul road run again. He left going North , Terry and I rode to Anchorage and put his daughter on an airplane back to Texas. Then he and I headed south to Washington, State. Chip met us in Washington state, then we headed SW, Chip broke off and went to San Diego at the border, then he headed East back to Key West, Florida. Terry and I rode home, me to Aztec, NM and Terry to East Texas.

So, Chip completed a Iron Butt Ride called the Ultimant Coast to Coast to Coast with the 4 corners thrown in. Lots of miles in that ride. I think it was around 19,000 miles for him. I think he was on the road a month.

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
My route had a few little changes from the map, like I ended going to San Diego before heading north.

To say the least I enjoyed the ride although I wish I had been able to take more time, but I had some time lines to make and get back to my job with the Army. But what I really made the ride is that I was also out there for the DAV and Homes For Our Troops. Even though I didn't raise as much money as I had wished, I did bring awareness to their needs. The ride was picked up on one TV station, 3 or 4 Mags, several newspapers in different states and cities and not to forget the countless people I talked to and the ones that saw me on the road. So I would say... all in all it was sucessful.

I also liked how people left messages on my web site giving me well wishes and God speed on my trip. They came from all across the counrty, and all walks of life. Like the 81 year old widower (SO was retired military) she couldn't do much as far as money but she said she would pray for my safe trip and return to home. And the drummer from the band Journey wishing me well, asking what he could do to help. And the lady from WI that donated a dollor for every mile I rode in that state. Just so many great people out their that made my trip just so much more than a ride. At times it was hard for me to put into words, what each and every message ment to me as I wrote back to them all.

Being this was my longest trip I ever done I was a little worried, not about the bike, I know the wing had it in her. But myself, the other "long" trip I did was in 96 on a Honda CB 900 C and that was only a 3 or 4 day trip.

Funny thing, when I was in San Diego I called my wife in MA and she asked how I was doing.. I answered " I doing fine .... I think I will make it" so she answers to me in all her wifely wisdom as I was completely across the country from her " Do you think you have a choice?"

NO ...dear I guess I didn't

So any way if you saw someone going down the highway in the sping of 2007 riding this rig... It was me.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

And it is a ride you will remember for the rest of your life !! :thumbup::thumbup:

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Around the USA

I did a 10,000 miler in Sept. 2007 with a buddy. We were both on Gold Wings and each of us pulled a Bushtec. We did 10,500 miles in 29 days. We departed NC on Sept.1 and went to Albert Lea, MN to connect with two more Gold Wings. Then it was across to the Badlands, Custer State Park, over the Big Horns into Cody, up Chief Joseph Scenic Highway and over Bearthooth Pass. We continued on to Glacier National Park, Grand Coulee Dam, and then through the Northern Cascades. Once we hit the coast we rode all the way to San Diego, hanging on the coast route except we went inland a ways to bypass LA. We came back across the southern route via the National Parks in UTAH.

What a ride!

Here is a link to the slide show if you want to see what we saw.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resrnkf7/escapades/

·
Registered
628 Posts
Awesome trip lovetoride. Very relaxing to watch with the music you provided. Thanks for allowing us to share.

Rick

·
Registered
375 Posts
You are 75% correct about east of the divide. There are a few good roads in western NC and northern GA, and many in the northeast.

The Gold Wing is gone, but I still ride, and not all are short trips. I will be riding to the MTA rally in Spearfish, SD in June. I added the J&M CB radio to the Magna, as my Gold Wing riding buddy told me I could not go to Spearfish with him unless I had the radio. I installed it and it is great.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I did a 10,000 miler in Sept. 2007 with a buddy. We were both on Gold Wings and each of us pulled a Bushtec. We did 10,500 miles in 29 days. We departed NC on Sept.1 and went to Albert Lea, MN to connect with two more Gold Wings. Then it was across to the Badlands, Custer State Park, over the Big Horns into Cody, up Chief Joseph Scenic Highway and over Bearthooth Pass. We continued on to Glacier National Park, Grand Coulee Dam, and then through the Northern Cascades. Once we hit the coast we rode all the way to San Diego, hanging on the coast route except we went inland a ways to bypass LA. We came back across the southern route via the National Parks in UTAH.

What a ride!

Here is a link to the slide show if you want to see what we saw.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resrnkf7/escapades/

Enjoyed your slide show. Having been to Albert Lea, MN, Badlands, Custer National Park, Big Horn and Cody, Bear Tooth Pass and Yellowstone, Devils Tower, Glacier National Park, Grand Coulee Dam and Mount St. Helens, your slide show brought back some memories. I rode the Pacific Coast Highway from Reedsport, OR to Newport Beach, CA. in 2002. It's a great ride!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I noticed that is an early version of the slide show. Can you find the picture that is out of place, time wise?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you took the 40 mile loop on route 240 through the Badlands, I see you have a Buffalo in that group. I didn't see any pictures of the Prairie Homestead at the "east end" of the loop. Did you visit the Corn Palace, Wall Drugs, Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower and Logan Pass. I didn't see any pictures of them.

I have made three relatively recent trips to the west coast (2000, 2002 and 2007) and have an article about each trip. If interested in reading them, send me an e-mail. They are too large to post here.

Dave Bohrer
Silver Spring, MD
99 Gold Wing SE (151,000 miles)
67 BSA Royal Star (The Original Royal Star)
[email protected]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts