1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Lamont, is that incoming or on it's way back to lowrance? Tim

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Lowrance should install a Kelley system (like the vacuum tubes at drive up banks) to your house; they could save a fortune in shipping costs. :lol:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Lamont..It's time to bite the bullet and get glasses :roll:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I do believe you, but man 9 units going bad and your on the 10th!!!!! Now I am waiting to hear what Jon has to say about this. I would have gotten a i-way a long time ago except for all the problems with some of the units.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
LaMont, did you primarily use your iWay on a bike that has lots of vibration, like a 2 banger or something?

Have they all had the same failure mode?

David M.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
BlueWing said:
... Now I am waiting to hear what Jon has to say about this...
I don't know what you expect me to say about this - he's got the patience of Job, that's for sure. You won't hear me apologizing or making excuses for Lowrance - they could be a true competitor if they just got their QC issues resolved. As it is, their image is tarnished (at least on this board) by a large percentage of highly-publicized failures. What you have failed to hear here is that Lowrance disputed any owner's failure claim or denied warranty support. There's a post over on the GPSPassion site where a bike owner actually got a refund from Lowrance when his unit failed to work for him.

I've used all the Garmins (except the x78-series) and I'd still replace my iWay with another if it was stolen tomorrow. I might hold out for the 600c with twice the display resolution though. 8)

If I needed Bluetooth integration or Nexrad radar, it might be a different story, but great maps, very flexible user interface, ever-increasing functionality and programmability make this a no-brainer for me. (and only me)

Good luck with number 10, Lamont!

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
couple weeks ago i was chatting with a friend about GPS stuff.

He mentioned the iWay Lowrance stuff.... I told him I knew a fellow that had been through 7 or 8 of them.... well now it is # 10

good luck LaMont

·
Registered
487 Posts
...I'd still replace my iWay with another if it was stolen tomorrow. I might hold out for the 600c with twice the display resolution though
Ditto, Jon! For me, the I-Way has been I-deal!

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is not a kidney dialysis machine so it's just an inconvenience for me. I love the unit when it works and until somebody comes up with something better I stick with the iWay.

By the way this one seems to have a problem when I go to close a screen, on some of the screens I have to hit the "menu" button because the X in the corner will not close the screen. :roll:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
LaMonster said:
This is not a kidney dialysis machine so it's just an inconvenience for me. I love the unit when it works and until somebody comes up with something better I stick with the iWay.

By the way this one seems to have a problem when I go to close a screen, on some of the screens I have to hit the "menu" button because the X in the corner will not close the screen. :roll:

Inconvenience? After putting up with sending 10 units back and forth, I would have to call them junk and forget about it. My time sure is worth more than spending it sending 10 units back for exchange. You going to send in this one also? Just how often did ANY of them work and for how long?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
LaMonster, did you calibrate the pressure sensitive screen? Also, the calibration is different between bare fingers and thick gloves.

David M.

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
topster said:
LaMonster said:

Inconvenience? After putting up with sending 10 units back and forth, I would have to call them junk and forget about it. My time sure is worth more than spending it sending 10 units back for exchange. You going to send in this one also? Just how often did ANY of them work and for how long?
Seems like this bothers you more than it does me. :lol:

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
David M. said:
LaMonster, did you calibrate the pressure sensitive screen? Also, the calibration is different between bare fingers and thick gloves.

David M.
Yes I did. Looks like it's just the "overlay data setup" that won't close with the X. Not a big deal really.

My last few units I had another issue and I think it's related to the new software. When you use the "Find" button and then press "Find Fuel" or "Find Other POI's" it just sits there and say's "busy" but nothing comes up. You have to hit "Find By" for it to start looking for anything. All the other "Find" features start searching with out doing that. Is this normal? :roll:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I'll try it tonight if somebody else doesn't confirm it. I usually just press the 'find fuel' button on my skin and it works fine.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
LaMonster said:
topster said:
LaMonster said:

Seems like this bothers you more than it does me. :lol:
I just cannot belive someone would put up with that many defected units and still think the unit is great... Might be better if it worked... :D

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Jerry, the fact that the iWay owners are willing to keep returning their units for repair when the warranty goes so far as to state the following should tell you something:
  • Any such defect, malfunction, or non-conformity which occurs within one year from your original purchase date will either be repaired without charge or be replaced with a new product identical or reasonably equivalent to this product, at our option, within a reasonable time after our receipt of the product. If such defect, malfunction, or non-conformity remains after a reasonable number of attempts to repair by us, you may elect to obtain without charge a replacement of the product or a refund for the product.
Obviously, we have the option to bail out at any time, but I don't know of anybody who has actually exercised this option. It's kind of like a drug - once you try it, you get hooked.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
LaMonster, the 'Find' functions you mention work just fine on this one. If you life in a high population density area, maybe the sheer volume of hits is overwhelming the programming. That's just a SWAG.

I've had that happen when out in very rural areas. It would take a couple of minutes to come back and stop being busy, but it did finish :).

David M.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts