GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's info from an article from the March '04 GWTA Touring News. Michael LaDue from Pasco Washington rode 100,000 miles in 1 year on his 2003 GL1800A.

"During the 12 months that this bike was on the road, it broke two existing world records, and created two new world records for time/distance riding. Unfortunately, everything good must come to an end and this bike met it's fate when a cracked frame was discovered with more than 110,000 miles on the bike. Honda bought the bike back as quickly as they could, and a new 2004 GL1800A now sits in the garage. My motto: Miles equal Smiles."

My hat's off to Michael LaDue. Don't recall seeing any of this posted on this board but if you're here - congratulations!!! That's a lot of riding in one year.

·
Registered
412 Posts
wow

wow, that's about 274 miles EVERY day and around $4000.00 just for gas.

now that's some riding...

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I wonder if that's the guy I ran into one day a while back at Everett Powersports in everett Washington.
I think his ride was silver,and his personalized license plate said "Ironbutt"(or something similar)

He said that his goal was to ride 100,000 miles in a year.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My wife and I met a man and his wife while we were at Americade last year and they had been on the road for nine months and had 73000 miles on there 9 1/2 month old Wing, and this couples age was around 70-72 and they told us they had a 1998 wing in there garage with 250,000 miles on it, but they were from Indiana, and had some interesting stories, and the only problems with the bike was tires and a battery, and they had to put a new windshield on because a rock had hit it and broke it. :sw1: :flg:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
just exactly where does one go 100000 miles in one year on a bike.
thats like 16 round trips from maine to san diego.

loren

·
Registered
451 Posts
This gives a new meaning to Iron Butt. :shock:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
loren said:
just exactly where does one go 100000 miles in one year on a bike.
thats like 16 round trips from maine to san diego.

loren

I would do it, but unfortunately, I have to work for a living. :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
"Where does one go to put on 100,000 miles in one year?"

EVERYWHERE

:rat: Bake

·
Registered
786 Posts
a man and his wife with 73000 miles ....

What a wife!!!!

I'd have to put a plasma screen on the back of my helmet and have the cell phone hookup for sure!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Michael Ladue = Michael Gasper = Charles Ladue

Guys,

Not to put a damper on the idea of riding 100,000 miles in one year. It can be done and I know several people who have done it. But, I feel you need a little word of warning about this particual guy.

Check out the web page: http://gasperrevealed.tripod.com

Especially listen to the recording of him making a death threat to a rider's wife: http://www.bsu.edu/web/00amleduc/iba/threat.mp3

I know this guy and he's really bad news. He's basically been banned from the IBA for his various attacks on their members.

I wouldn't put too much stock into anything that this guy says. He claims a lot of things like he's a Vietnam vet, like he helped start the Iron Butt Association with Mike Kneebone, like the WaDOT shut down one of his rallies, etc, etc, etc.

But, it's all bull! He's just a bald-faced liar and a con man. I've had personal dealings with the man and know for a fact that the world records he claims to have done were never certified by the Iron Butt Association.

Anyone can claim to have broken a world record. But it needs to be certified by some regulatory authority to be considered fact.

Watch out for this guy. He's bad news.

Best regards,

Joe Zulaski

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was about to send the same link to the Gapser Revealed web site. Someone needs to warn GWTA as well.

This is a dangerous man that has no consience to hinder him in his many different scams and death threats against riders AND their families.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Iron Butt Rider

I'm thinking of someone else. The man I met was from IN. and was an Iron Butt rider.

I had the good fortune to meet him in Jacksboro TN at the Bushtec Plant. He was picking up a special hitch for the type of trailer he pulls on occassions. He was on his second GoldWing. He had been recuperating from an accident that occured on an Iron Butt ride across the desert in Nevada. Totaled the bike and he was flown out by helicopter to hospital because of the remote location and type of injuries received.

He has a website. I will try to find it add to a post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rgray,

That's probably Alan Laduc you met. A really nice guy. He took a shortcut to Gerlach, Nevada along Jungo road during the 2003 IBR. It's not really a short cut as that dirt road gets pretty rough towards the end. Not a good road for a Goldwing to be on. Fortunately, he was riding with a buddy and that buddy had a GPS. He gave the helicopter the coordinates and they found him very quickly.

Alan is doing much better now and is back riding.

The link to the recorded death threat was done by Alan's wife, Brenda. Gasper/Ladue was harassing Alan because Alan chose not to allow Gasper to ride in one of his rallies the year before.

Alan is the type of guy I would like to see in the GWTA newsletters. A really nice guy and good roll model. The other guy, well... he deserves to be in Lompoc prison. I have a hunch that when GWTA finds out about Gasper's past, you won't be seeing anything more in their publications about him.

Regards,

Joe Zulaski

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Jeff in Ferndale WA said:
I wonder if that's the guy I ran into one day a while back at Everett Powersports in everett Washington.
I think his ride was silver,and his personalized license plate said "Ironbutt"(or something similar)

He said that his goal was to ride 100,000 miles in a year.
Plate = IBA (if it's the same guy I met from Kennewick who was going to ride 100K/yr. If not, my appologies).

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
so 100 000 miles in a year.

i ride about 7000 to 10000 miles a year, so that would take me 10-14 years to make 100000.

even if i had nothing else to do, and enough money to do it. thats just too much of anything putting 100000 miles in a year on a bike

loren

1 - 19 of 19 Posts