GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We turned over 100,000 miles this weekend which is a milestone for us anyway! We bought our 2003 GW 5 years ago with 49,000 miles on it and have loved every mile we have put on it. I told myself that when it turned over 100,000 miles i would replace it with a newer (not new) model, maybe next generation, but now that we are there i am not sure why we would do that. We have had no problems at all, we have it set up just how we want it, and we don't miss any of the newer bells & whistles because we don't have them now. From all i read on this site i am convinced we have many more miles-smiles left in our baby !

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Heck,
I'd say, "why" replace if "she's still treating you well........I'd say that you have some serious "bragging" rights there with 100,000 (s)miles.... I'm at approx 43,xxx,xxx miles and it's good to know that I have all those more to go and still be a happy MC ride'rrr

Ronnie

·
Registered
467 Posts
Heck,
I'd say, "why" replace if "she's still treating you well........I'd say that you have some serious "bragging" rights there with 100,000 (s)miles.... I'm at approx 43,xxx,xxx miles and it's good to know that I have all those more to go and still be a happy MC ride'rrr

Ronnie
43 million miles! That's quite some acheivement!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
That’s where I hope I can be when i

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just bought my 2010 GL1800 with 22,000 miles. I figure it will take me 8 years @ 10,000 miles a year, to break 100,000, and I'll be 66 years old.
Knowing that chances are good that the bike has another 100,000 in it after that, plus maybe a lot more. This GL1800 should see me throughout the rest of my days if I let it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I had 220,000 miles on my 2006 when it was totaled last year. At 212,000 miles it took me on a 7,000 mile trip across the Trans-Labrador- Highway. The only prep of the bike for that trip was an oil change and new tires. When I got home washed the bike changed the oil and tires and fixed the ignition switch, got sand in it , and was ready for my next trip. If you know anything abut the Trans-Labrador- Highway you know it is brutal on machinery.

My point take care of you wing and it will out last you.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I bought the 08 6 years ago with 12k on the odometer. We turned the 100k mark in September outrunning tropical storms returning from East Tennessee. Timely regular maintenance keeps her humming like a Singer sewing machine. >:)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Two months after my 06 turned 100k we rode to Canada. I was hesitant about going thinking “I can’t believe I’m riding a motorcycle with over 100k miles on a long trip!”. I grew up when getting 100k out of a CAR was quite a feat and it’s been hard to shake that. I certainly know better now! I hope to ride the 2016 further!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Wish I would have chronicled all the bikes I have ever owned these past 50 years of riding. Would have been neat to have photos, mileage(s), modifications, etc. Oh well. I still enjoy all the great memories. Yeah, and the not so great ones as well.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,531 Posts
I hit 100,000 miles last summer on my 2003. At that mileage I reworked my Traxxion forks and installed a new Traxxion rear shock with some fresh tires...installed a new OEM alternator while I was at it just because.

My Traxxion 2003 rode and handled better than a brand new OEM wing and was ready for the next 100K miles. I had no fears at all about riding that bike anywhere.
100K miles on a Gold Wing that is well maintained is far from being wore out.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I'm guessing we are at around 63,000 miles. The reason I say were guessing is due to a replacement of the dashboard monitor which reset the mileage. Maybe I should have just lived with the blown row of pixels. I might not be able to celebrate that 100K photo since I still work full time, have other interests and only get about 8,000 a year.

Anyway congrats to all who reach that milestone.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The trouble with us riders is that we are aging far faster than our Wings. They just keep going and going and going.

My '01 has only 2400 km/1500 miles to hit that magic 100,000 miles. If my S.O. gives me a week on my own (June?), I should be able to surpass that with ease.
And I just might do it riding into the USA and then back home. No hesitation.:wink2:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts