GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
In 2014 we flew into Anchorage, rented KLR 650's, and headed to Fairbanks. After a night in Fairbanks, we were off to Livengood, AK and the beginning of the Dalton Highway. The 416 miles to Prudhoe Bay was a great adventure and this video brought back a lot of great memories. These guys looked way too clean to be riding the Dalton in the rain. My Hi-Vis Darien turned chocolate brown. The road turns to soup with the slightest hint of precipitation. We thought the KLR 650's were the right tool for the job. I can't imagine doing it on a CT90 or 125.

Reactions: BigBob1 and markX

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My wife and I are planning to ride in AK next summer. We will be 2-up on a 2018 Gold wing. Doubt we will go farther north then Fairbanks. I'm a little disappointed I won't do the Dalton highway, but I'll give that up to have my wife with me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
A couple of years ago, my wife and I flew to Alaska, and rented a bike, and tour'd the area, (BEST TIME EVER) and we didn't have to worry about riding all the way there, and than the dreaded ride home after the week of touring , no worries about adding tons, and tons of miles put on our bike, No worriies about breakdowns, and fixing the bike, actually no worries what's -so-ever...We rode and explored that area tell we were "blue in the face", then walked bull legged, to a plane and flew home first class.... Went into garage when we got home and hugg'd our poor Goldwing, with still low mileage, and zero wear ~n~ tear...on it........................... Best way ever to explore Alaska
Ronnie
11/25/21

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Ronnie. Gittin' there is 1/2 the fun!
Yea, tell that to a wife, that 1/2(ish) agrees to go to Alaska instead of a warm Caribbean island.... (see what I did there??) :love::love: LOL

Ronnie

·
Registered
730 Posts
It is a fun video, kinda reminds me of the old Top Gear road trips. We have ridden up to Deadhorse twice on our 650's. It was a fun adventure both times. On each ride we had a mix of dry/wet, dust/mud and a strong cold wind the last 50 miles or so that chilled us to the bone.
Here a couple pictures
Cloud Sky Mountain Slope Natural landscape
Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Plant
Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Ecoregion

1 - 10 of 10 Posts