GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went over 100,000 miles last week. Other than change oil, replace air filter, brake pads, and just last month rebuild forks, I have done nothing to this machine since buying it used at 43,000 miles six years ago. Anything I should be looking at to service it to gert the next 100,000 miles ?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Congrats on your milestone!

Rebuild or replace your alternator in the next 20k. Otherwise, ride it....

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Questions

It sounds like your bike is finally broken in. I would check with a trike builder and get a low millage final drive and replace yours. It might not need it but at the price and for piece of mind it's worth the effort. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Might be time to consider a new set of NGK's.

Coolant change.

Brake and clutch fluid flush.

Valve clearance check/adjust.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Replace the front wheel bearings.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Maybe some new fork springs, with rebuild of sliders etc. or better yet some Progressive monotube cartridges. And maybe a new or low mileage rear shock and spring taken off a trike conversion.

I've done these changes to mine, along with all the ones mentioned above, and feel really good about it. I've totaled up the cost of all the improvements and it comes out to about 2 cents per mile, which I feel is really really cheap for all the fun and enjoyment the bike has given me. I'll gladly keep investing at this rate for the foreseeable future.

Ride on safely.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I'll make a list, and start checking off items as time allows. Front end just redone with new race tech springs, new seals/bushings, and fresh oil. That should last for a little bit. Will be looking for trike take off parts soon.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Final drive gear lube each oil change.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If mine is any indicator, you should change your alternator before 92,600 miles. Otherwise, on the way to trade it in on a new one, the alternator will go out and you will certainly get less than the agreed upon value of your trade. It makes an awful racket and there's no hiding the fact. Also, if you're lucky enough to have a dealer that you like you won't want to shaft him anyway.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Speakin' of alternators, is there any way to buy a guaranteed quiet one? My '06 wakes the neighbors.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
valve adjustment
replace spark plugs
replace front wheel bearings and wheel bearing seals
replace rear shock and service rear shock actuator
tighten hose clamps and clean and tighten main grounding points
check/replace/lube/adjust steering bearings
grease brake caliper slides
change/bleed brake and clutch fluid
inspect and grease clutch and brake lever pivot bushings and pivot bolt
check bolts in rear trunk lid hinge
check/lube/adjust saddlebag door opener
grease shifter linkage and shifter pivot
clean/tighten battery connections
go over the bike and check/tighten all fasteners, and replace any broken or missing plastic push pins or bolts

If your bike is a 2001-2008, replace both rubber tire valve stems at next tire change
If your bike is a 2009-2012, replace the batteries in both tire pressure sensors

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure I'm forgetting something

1 - 12 of 12 Posts