GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well it sure looked like oil.. but only a little bit came out before i found the real oil plug :) .. just making sure i didn't drain something i wasn't refilling.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thanks.

after buckling it all back up and filling it back up with oil.. i found the oil washer when funneling the old oil back into the bottle. :eek: i knew it was going too smooth.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You mean the Crush Washer?!?!?! OMG, turn off the lights, hide under the bed and don't make a sound...the Crush Washer Police are already on their way! :22yikes::eek::22yikes::eek::22yikes: :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm not the police, but you do need a washer as it helps seal the hole. When you remove the drain plug, make sure it did not dig into the block.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to necro-post as I just did this myself when changing the oil for the first time on my 06... seemed like the same drain as on my BMW R1150gs, so I just took it out. A little oil came out, and considering that the transmission uses the same oil as the engine, I'm assuming I'm fine.

So, just making sure the 10mm hex tooled bolt right behind the oil filter is infact the cam adjustment bolt, and that the oil I lost is just a little of the main engine oil, that was replaced anyways.

P.S. I need to get a clymer manual for this thing... too many parts!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
P.S. I need to get a clymer manual for this thing... too many parts!
Go to the dealer and get the Honda manual, it cost more, but well worth it.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Do you mean the clutch fluid drain bolt, behind the black cannister?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The cam tensioner bolt is on the head, not near the oil filter. I just looked at my 07, and I would guess that the 10mm allen head plug has something to do with the oil pump.

·
Registered
17 Posts
10 mm

The bolt you talk about is the coolant drain plug. I suspect. A big reccomendation if you do your own maintenance is to buy the DVD kit made by one of the fellows on this board. He demonstrates how to do maintenance on your wing and its entertaining to see the camera fall off the seat once or twice. Great video and great guy. Well worth the money hands down.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
The bolt you talk about is the coolant drain plug. I suspect. A big reccomendation if you do your own maintenance is to buy the DVD kit made by one of the fellows on this board. He demonstrates how to do maintenance on your wing and its entertaining to see the camera fall off the seat once or twice. Great video and great guy. Well worth the money hands down.
The coolant drain plug is attached to a hose, not the engine block.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Service manual or not, you don't just start taking bolts out if you don't know what they are there for.

Oil drain plugs are very easy to find without a manual. It will always be at the lowest point of the engine. (for obvious reasons.)

·
Registered
198 Posts
For those guys who take things apart before checking out the real estate... There are places on-line you can download the service manuals and wiring diagrams. Go-figure....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, I get it, I screwed up. Better to be humble and ask for help than arrogant and refuse it...

Anyways, here is the bolt I removed. I'm not seeing the bolt named anywhere that I can find. Can anyone tell me for sure what this bolt is for, and if possible the torque that should be applied to it? It looked like it had some crusty red loctite on it, so I'm assuming I should put some more on...

Attachments

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
There's no torque spec for it. If you got it out by hand, then tighten it by hand and check it for leaks after running the engine awhile. Keep snugging it up until it stops weeping oil.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yeah, I get it, I screwed up. Better to be humble and ask for help than arrogant and refuse it...

Anyways, here is the bolt I removed. I'm not seeing the bolt named anywhere that I can find. Can anyone tell me for sure what this bolt is for, and if possible the torque that should be applied to it? It looked like it had some crusty red loctite on it, so I'm assuming I should put some more on...
That is not RED LOCTITE .... More than likely it is a Honda red sealer. It is put on and let dry, then installed.
I can't remember the tech name, but you can pick it up at a dealer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts