GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 Wing, use the GN-4 Honda oil, does it matter if I use 10w30 or 10w40 since they are both available? They developed the 10w30 in 2006, is it specifically for the newer models?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I would pick the weight specified by your owners manual.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Oh Boy, here we go. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I would prefer the 10W-40 in the hottest weather, like 90-110 degrees, and the 10W-30 in cooler weather. Here in southern california, I use the 10-40 all year long.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Like 05nwl posted, outside temp should determine if 30 or 40w. Up here, no need for a 40 wt as it never gets that warm (75 being a hot day).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have an '08 also and live in Ohio. The specifications say 10w-30 but there is also a chart that shows that 10w-40 can be used in hotter temps. I personally use Amsoil 10w-30 year round.

-Doug

·
Registered
541 Posts
I use 15w-40.

·
Banned
625 Posts
I'd go with the 10W30 for the temperature ranges stated in the owners manual. Trust the engineers and tribologists on this.

Both 10w30 and 10w40 start out with the same base oil. The 10w40 has more viscosity improver polymers to bring it up to an SAE40, which are more likely to shear in the transmission. Fewer polymers also mean more lubricating oil.

The 10w30 will also out perform 10w40 in fuel economy and performance when they come up to operating temperature.

Honda has recommended 20 weight oils for many years in their cars with no problems.

Of course, synthetic 10w30 would generally perform better than conventional.

Here are some tests comparing the Honda GN-4 10w30 oil with some other 10w30 motorcycle oils: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mct.aspx?zo=1181889 .

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
As Tim said if you don't use Amsoil your bike will blow up:eek:4:

·
Banned
625 Posts
As Tim said if you don't use Amsoil your bike will blow up:eek:4:
I never said that. I've always recommended to follow the owners manual for viscosity grade for the temperatures you will encounter and the recommended JASO MA.

If you want Laen to blow up, then use AMSOIL.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
use what the book says

lots of 15-40 and 15-50 users here

mine shifts better with these weights

·
Registered
330 Posts
Always find its better to go with what the owners manual says. My manual has a chart in it with reccomendations for different temperature ranges that you are most likely to be doing most of your riding in.

Think its probably more important that you change the oil and filter frequently. Oil and filters is cheap compared to a new engine.

Know there are a lot of opinions on this but if you trust honda to build a bike you buy , it is probably reasonable to trust their choices for oil

think we sometimes spend too much time on this stuff and not enough time actually riding

however, everybody paddles their own boat. Good luck

safe riding

1 - 20 of 36 Posts