GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 is due for the 12,000 mile service. I would do it myself, except for working 7 days a week and have too may other projects in the works right now. Any one have a rough idea of what I might expect to pay for this service at a local Honda dealer in California? I want to make sure I keep up and keep the warranty valid.
Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
12000mile check up

don't know about California but around Houston, Tx it'll run at least $350 if you get everything done. I would think nearly twice as much out there.

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
change your oil, filter and gear oil . Fluids and filter under $20. Takes 10 minutes total AND RIDE, DEALERS what a ripoff. Nothing else needs to be done at 12K

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Kandgo said:
Read your owners manual, there is more than just oil and filter at 12k miles, as in clutch fluid, brake fluid, change air filter, clean and service crank case breather, inspect brake pads and document doing this if you do it yourself, as in receipts for oil, filters, brake fluid, new air filter, etc. etc. Goodluck,,Rick
OK we will do it your way (the smart way anyway) buy all that stuff !!(receipts) then chang the oil!!! write all that "other' stuff down!! ....GO RIDE...........do the rest when working less hours!!!...chuck.......ps you should check your brakes more often than that anyway..IE a walkaround!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Kandgo said:
Read your owners manual, there is more than just oil and filter at 12k miles, as in clutch fluid, brake fluid, change air filter, clean and service crank case breather, inspect brake pads and document doing this if you do it yourself, as in receipts for oil, filters, brake fluid, new air filter, etc. etc. Goodluck,,Rick
This same verbiage is all over the Owner's and Service manuals:

"Always follow the inspection and maintenance recommendations and schedules in this owner’s manual."

Note the word "recommendations". In other words, the maintenance schedule is not sacrosanct like lots of folks think. Changing brake and clutch fluid at 12,000 miles is a bit over the top. Lots of other maintenance items are likewise over the top. Honda cannot (legally) deny warranty work because you didn't follow their "recommendations". They must prove harm in the way you serviced your motorcycle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts