GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I replaced My rear beake fluid..It Had alot of orange in the bottom,wiped it cleaned was woundering if anyone new what it is cased from?...

·
Registered
581 Posts
In the bottom of the brake fluid resevoir?? I think it must be from moisture (water) being picked up by the fluid.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

I am about 212,000 miles behind on my brake fluid change. I guess I need to get er done some day..:joke:

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I just changed the brake fluid today at 11, 950 miles. The fluid in the front reservoir was pretty clear, but the rear was very amber which seems strange. I'd have thought they would be almost the same color.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just changed the brake fluid today at 11, 950 miles. The fluid in the front reservoir was pretty clear, but the rear was very amber which seems strange. I'd have thought they would be almost the same color.

Same here..I heard one time ,that the rear brake fluid would be a orange a little,& to make sure you wipe out the resevior,,,heard it had something to do woth he placement of the resevoir,,& that it hot hot there causeing the change...But i did not may to close attention to yhe conversation,,so i wanted to ask on here to see if anyone else new the exact reason for this?..

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I am about 212,000 miles behind on my brake fluid change. I guess I need to get er done some day..:joke:

Then you would be about 200,000 miles behind on your service accordin to the manual.....I thought 12,000 miles was early myself..untill i replaced the fluid...Still ,might not need to even do it...How many times do we replace the brake flid in our cars...me never,just add... so i undersatand what you are saying..

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Recommend brake fluid changes are every 2 years. Brake fluid can and does break down over time. Just like transmission fluid in your cars and trucks.

Obvious some people never change theirs. That is their exceptable risks. I choose to change mine at regular intervals.

My guess at what the orange stuff in the bottom of the reservior is moisture. Moisture is the one thing that will deterorate the brake fluid faster than anything. Just the nature of the beast. If not clear or coming up on the 2 year interval...change it. You will be glad that you did.

JMHO

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
I changed mine at its first 12,000 mile interval and did find some jelly-like amber solids in the front and rear reservoirs. I used Valvoline DOT 3-4 which was water clear and it was very esy to see the line od demarcation as the new fluid purged the old through the clear plastic drain line. So at the next 12,000 I changed again and I really could not tell any obvious difference between the new Valvoline 3-4 and the "old" -- I remember pumping through what had to be a lot of extra fluid becasue I really could not tell for sure the difference as the new purged the "old". So, I waited 24 thousand the next time and I could tell the difference, but it was not a big difference. My next change is "due" soon, but its still look'n good. Maybe the Honda supplied brake fluid was not all it should have been; or maybe the amber discoloration and jellied solids make no never-mind if it can go over 200,000 sans troubles.

prs

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Manual, manual. KA7W don't need no stinking manual. LOL

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Come to think of it, I have never changed brake fluid in any of my motorcycles. And my 88 Goldwing had 296,000 miles on it when I sold it. Take that back, had a Moto Guzzi that the brake line broke, got brake fluid all over, replaced line and fluid on that one...

Have never replaced a crush washer either. Have replaced many many tires until here lately. And it seems that I have to replace the gasoline almost daily. And I replace the engine oil every 15 to 16 thousand miles. And of course the oil filter.

Never replaced the brake fluid in any of my airplanes either !

I replace the seat more often that I do brake fluid..

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Recommend brake fluid changes are every 2 years. Brake fluid can and does break down over time. Just like transmission fluid in your cars and trucks.

Obvious some people never change theirs. That is their exceptable risks. I choose to change mine at regular intervals.

My guess at what the orange stuff in the bottom of the reservior is moisture. Moisture is the one thing that will deterorate the brake fluid faster than anything. Just the nature of the beast. If not clear or coming up on the 2 year interval...change it. You will be glad that you did.

JMHO
The manual says 12K or two years which ever happens first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts