GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install 12VDC plug in my 2006 GL1800 left fairing compartment. I've heard horror stories about people drilling at the wrong place, or not having room for the plug behind the compartment, etc. Need some straight forward advice on where to drill and where to connect. Help me obewan...... :flg:

·
Chard Member
12,966 Posts
It's marked toward the right frt of the box. Remove the box and you will see it. The plug is in the same location as all other 18's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
12 DC AUXILLIARY PLUG

G'Day Mate.
The last block is not quite right. The 2006 model is totally different.
The right connector is now used with heated Hand Grips control

The correct connector is under the LEFT Opening Hatch.
Firstly take of your Left strip which runs along your Left Fairing besides the Hatch.
The hatch has 4 push button plastic plugs. Small pointed object and press the centre of the plug. Once all 4 are released pull out the Hatch (Pocket)
Their is a Black plastic cup holding 2 connectors. Choose the one for you.
I myself have placed the Auxiliary Plug inside the hatch and to the rear.
Next to the Black plastic connectors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
12V Outlet

There is room to install a 12 volt plug in the 06 left pocket. Looking down into the pocket the plug mounts on the right front angle section of the pocket. When you remove the pocket you will see a small "X" stamped on the back side of the pocket on the angle. That is where I installed mine.

C

·
0 Posts
I know this thread is old but just found it. I must be blind. I don't see an "X". I do see a circle with a small dot in it about 1" down from the top on the front right angled section. Is that where you are talking about? Thanks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
be careful and don't get it to high (don't ask me how I know) better go lower than high

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
CA_Dreamin' said:
I know this thread is old but just found it. I must be blind. I don't see an "X". I do see a circle with a small dot in it about 1" down from the top on the front right angled section. Is that where you are talking about? Thanks.
I couldn't see an X either.. but I drilled in the center of that circle and the plug fit right in. I have a 2006 TiWing

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Re: 12 DC AUXILLIARY PLUG

FOOT said:
G'Day Mate.
The last block is not quite right. The 2006 model is totally different.
I think Red gave the correct information.
I think the words have gotten in the way ...
I read that Red was saying it's in the RIGHT corner of the LEFT front fairing box ...

anyway, that's where mine is.

I just tapped into that left side connector and ran four wires, two to the left pocket and two to the right pocket ... now have 12V in each pocket just like the pre-2006 models.

Dennis

C

·
0 Posts
Cherokee32N said:
Try this link
http://www.bigbikeriders.com/hondapdf/G ... socket.pdf
it is from the top link in this tech section from Hal
the 06 is different than the others
Hope this helps Richard
Thanks! That helps. So, it looks like pre '06 it did go at the front wall of the pocket. From what I have read though it was moved to the corner because of the comfort package. Since I don't have the comfort package, it looks like I could put it in the front instead of the corner if I want? Putting it in the corner looks kind of cramped to me. Looks like it would be easier to plug in the charger if I put it on the front wall. This is the first thing I have done even remotely related to actually installing something other than chrome goodies. I'm just a dumb ole girl and want to do it right. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The reason it was moved from the front of the left box is because of the comfort package cable for the foot warmers. In that case it goes in the front left 45deg angle corner, and it is marked on the backside where to drill. On my 07, 111A, (BaseModel), I installed it in the same location as my 01.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
07,7,100 miles

C

·
0 Posts
I did it! I got it installed, everything fits and it works!!! I put it at the front of the pocket instead of in the corner :D This is a big step for me...gotta start somewhere...next I'll be ready to change the air filter :wink:

·
Registered
589 Posts
CA_Dreamin' said:
I did it! I got it installed, everything fits and it works!!! I put it at the front of the pocket instead of in the corner :D This is a big step for me...gotta start somewhere...next I'll be ready to change the air filter :wink:
Might work for you, but if you have the comfort packagewith the control for the feet heater it won't. I just don't want anyone to be mislead with this information. No room up front with this package because of it.

If you have a 2006-2007 with the comfort package with the control ahead of the left pocket just remove the pocket. Now in good light look carefully for either a X or dot and circle in the angled corner of the pocket which is the upper right hand corner of the LEFT pocket. Now carefully use a hole saw the same size as the lighter plug and with a pilot bit in the hole saw center the pilot bit on the X or dot and drill.

C

·
0 Posts
True..wouldn't want to mislead anybody. I don't have the Comfort Package so it wasn't an issue. I'm too cheap to buy a hole saw I'm only going to use one time (OK..maybe twice if I ever put one in the trunk), so I actually used a boring bit, about 1/3 the cost of a hole saw the same size. I put this in to charge my IPOD while I'm listening to it, but looks like that isn't going to happen. There is so much whine coming through when it is charging it makes it so I can't listen to it. Suppose it needs some sort of noise filter, but that is probably beyond my abilities to install.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts