GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has purchased the Honda accessory for 12 Volt power? Part number 08U55-MCA-101. It looks to be a simple bayonet connection but a rather short cord. Where does it connect? How difficult is it to install? How many watts or amps does it handle (we would only use it to charge a cell phone or an air pump). Should we go with the genuine Honda accessory or something else? Is there anything else we should know?

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
It's a nice accessory and very easy to install. I like the OEM power plug because it has a nice large nut on the back that holds it firmy in place. There is a plug under the left fairing pocket that it plugs into. The wires are plenty long enough.

It will work great for charging a cell phone or powering a GPS, iPod, etc, but it's not meant to power a compressor. Most of them pull too many amps. It's best to hook a compressor directly to the battery. Anyway, that's my opinion. I'm sure someone will be along to voice a different opinion.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have tthe Honda version. There were a lot of comments about the polarity of some of the 3rd party one's being reversed and it just wasn't worth messing with.
There is a factory connection for this under the left faring pocket. Just remove the pocket to plug it in.

Most people then drill out the pocket and mount it. In my case I just left it under the pocket and have a USB cable run out to my phone Mountain on my handlebars.

Plenty for the phone, but I've heard that from the factory there is only a 5A fuse, so probably not enough for an air compressor (at least without some additional changes).

Total time for a noob is like 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It's a nice accessory and very easy to install. I like the OEM power plug because it has a nice large nut on the back that holds it firmy in place. There is a plug under the left fairing pocket that it plugs into. The wires are plenty long enough.

It will work great for charging a cell phone or powering a GPS, iPod, etc, but it's not meant to power a compressor. Most of them pull too many amps. It's best to hook a compressor directly to the battery. Anyway, that's my opinion. I'm sure someone will be along to voice a different opinion.
:agree:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Plenty for the phone, but I've heard that from the factory there is only a 5A fuse, so probably not enough for an air compressor (at least without some additional changes).
There are no additional changes that you can reasonably make that would let you go more than 5A to this plug. The wire from the fuse box is very small and making modifications to pull more than 5A would surely let the magic smoke escape from the wire unless you upgrade the wire.

The Honda plug is a really handy accessory but if you wire it into the "plug and play" plug located beneath the left fairing pocket then you should not use it for an air compressor. It is made more for a GPS, MP3 player, or radar detector type device.

For an air compressor I suggest you use an SAE plug wired directly to the battery with the pigtail easily accessible through the hole in the sidecover. You can use the same plug for a battery tender if you use one.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I agree. Wasn't the Air Compressor on the 1500 nice and handy? I thought so.
Yes but it is quite slow compared to a portable air compressor such as a Slime or other type compressor.
I wonder if anyone has ever tried to permanently mount a Slime (or other small) compressor in the GL1800? I agree, it was very convenient on the GL1500s (and GL1200s) to just hook up a hose to the air outlet and press a button when you or someone else needed to air up a tire.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I also have the OEM plug. Everything that can be said about it has already been said. However, it's costlier than the rest but it's far better made. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I wonder if anyone has ever tried to permanently mount a Slime (or other small) compressor in the GL1800?

Don't know..................

I suspect the negative side of that would be the "limited length" of the air hose on the Slime (or other) compressor. The receiving unit would need to be relatively close to the donor bike.

With the portable Slime (or other) compressor, you can place the compressor near the receiving unit (and the air hose length is a non issue).

Just my thoughts...........

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I wonder if anyone has ever tried to permanently mount a Slime (or other small) compressor in the GL1800?

Don't know..................

I suspect the negative side of that would be the "limited length" of the air hose on the Slime (or other) compressor. The receiving unit would need to be relatively close to the donor bike.

With the portable Slime (or other) compressor, you can place the compressor near the receiving unit (and the air hose length is a non issue).

Just my thoughts...........
My thought was to have the compressor mounted underneath the body work somewhere with only a Shrader valve air outlet installed in an accessible place like inside a saddle bag similar to the GL1500 location. All you'd need would be an On/Off switch for the compressor and an air hose to connect from the air outlet to run to the wheel(s). Just sort of "thinking out loud" here and wondering if anyone had done anything like this?

Sorry Biggersm, didn't mean to hijack your thread. My mind went off on a tangent with the GL1500 compressor comment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts