GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got my new (new to me) 2006 wing home today and I was loading it up with all my motorcycle junk. I was loading stuff into the left fairing pocket and attached next to the pocket was what I had assumed was a 12 volt outlet. I popped the cap and much to my surprise, it is not. I think it is the hook-up for intercom. Anyway, I like having a plug that I can charge my MP3 player and phone from, so I need to install one. Is there an easy way to hook up a 12 volt outlet and possibly run it to the left pocket? Remember, I am a newbie to the Wing and just learning, so if this has been covered a thousand times, i apologize.

Barry

·
Registered
267 Posts
There should be a plug behind the pocket that you can hook up a 12v power supply to. Hal has them on his site, just remove the pocket
(refer to manual) and hook it up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes: Direct Line Parts. Just be aware, however, that the 12-volt line behind the left pocket is part of the accessories wiring and can handle only only 5 amps.
Thanks Buzz. Would it be better to wire one directly to the fuse box?:shrug:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just hooked one up

I just hooked one up. It seems there are two brands out there. One for $9. or so, and another for $36.00 I went with the $9 and it works fine. Hooks up next to the IPOD/Aux connection. You'll see another wire sitting there with a red cap possibly, hook it up to that. I think it's well worth the hassle to get one.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just had one installed by the dealer on my 09. Plan to use it to power my GPS. It went in the left pocket in the upper right corner.

·
Registered
213 Posts
last week

I just installed on last week only take a couple of minutes. I bought the one for the honda Gl1800 comes with the plug all you have to do is drill a hole in the comparment box. (there is a small mark on the box where to drill). I had a tappered bit so I forget what size it was use a caliper to get the correct size when drilling. then just plug it in. I know this making thing sound hard. It"s not, if you live close to any one on the board a lot of people will help you. Do things like this to get you started. That is why dealers don't like GW owner. We do a lot to help each other. I think when you buy a Gold Wing you are buying in to a family. I don't want to get thing Strated but I belong to GWRRA and the group of people there are really great and are willing to help each other a lot.

Bob :congrats: on the new ride.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
I just ordered one for the left pocket. But I'm looking for another place to install one right to the battery with a fuse so I can use it to charge it during the winter.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I went a slightly different route. At races there is usually someone always has a weak cell so I added an accesory (cigarette lighter) plug in the trunk. I hopped it off the battery with a 10 amp fuse. I have a 100w inveter that plugs in if I need it. I had it in a box of spare parts so I have no idea on the cost but its under $10. I have a 12v charger with multiple tips to charge many styles of phones. I can also power my laptop off of it. Yes, I have a laptop in my trunk with Internet access. I am a geek

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, thought I would buy one of the walmart brands and just rewire it. I can see the plug, BUT I can't reach the thing well enough to do anything with it other than plug something else into it. I checked all the ones listed in the links above. The $9 got bad review. The only review said it would not plug into the plug or it had no plug. The $14 got good reviews, but buy the time I pay $14+free shipping but+$7.50 "handling" I could almost buy one at the dealer. So, I guess I'm gonna to the either get that one or run to dealer tomorrow to pick up one of theirs unless someone know of another site that would have them for less. I am assuming any of these will just plug into the socket. Thanks for the help

Barry

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
EC (Electrical Connection) has the connectors just like the ones onthe Wing. Both male and femail with pins, etc. wire up anything you want from the Honda 12v circuit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just had one installed by the dealer on my 09. Plan to use it to power my GPS. It went in the left pocket in the upper right corner.

I did the same thing and it works great. You just have to be careful how you route the wire out from under the lid.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Okay, thought I would buy one of the walmart brands and just rewire it. I can see the plug, BUT I can't reach the thing well enough to do anything with it other than plug something else into it. I checked all the ones listed in the links above. The $9 got bad review. The only review said it would not plug into the plug or it had no plug. The $14 got good reviews, but buy the time I pay $14+free shipping but+$7.50 "handling" I could almost buy one at the dealer. So, I guess I'm gonna to the either get that one or run to dealer tomorrow to pick up one of theirs unless someone know of another site that would have them for less. I am assuming any of these will just plug into the socket. Thanks for the help

Barry

The 12v source inthe wing is a Hitachi plug. With the plugs and pins from EC you can make up splitters and run several 12v devices from that source as long as you don't exceed the 5amp max. 5 amps is a lot for mp3 players, cellphone chargers, GPS's, etc.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
walmart has one that has 10 ga wire so should handle 15 amps with no problem. I got one and wired it directly to the battery and mounted it with 3M double sided trim tape to the inside of the left passenger armrest compartment. I use it for my charger my compressor and other 12 uses (small work light). It's out of the weather plus has a rubber cap over the end.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
EC (Electrical Connection) has the connectors just like the ones onthe Wing. Both male and femail with pins, etc. wire up anything you want from the Honda 12v circuit.
I'm sorry. I'm confused. Is EC someone here on the board?

Barry

1 - 20 of 28 Posts