GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 12 volt plug that goes into the left pocket the same one to use in the trunk lid :?: Is it plug and play and how hard is it to install :?:
PS Is it hot all the time or on the key :?:

Thanks

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
The fairing plug is a 3 pin connector and the trunk is a 2 pin. The fairing plug is hot only with the key on, the trunk is hot all the time.

Lewis/EC

·
Registered
58 Posts
Plug in for 12v power

The one from the fairing pocket is a 5 amp service. The one in the trunk is a 20 amp service. It's best for the one in the trunk to buy one from a Marine shop or someone that sells that type of setup. They have a snap on cover to keep moisture out which also keeps junk out. The male plug in is designed so that a quarter turn locks it into the socket so it won't fall out going down the road. I have used mine for charging my cell phone several times while going down the road and have had no problems with it yet.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Lennie,

The trunk plug is really not a 20 amp circuit. While fuse 22 is rated at 20 amps, it also supplies power to the Audio Unit (Stereo), CB, the guage assembly, Horn relay, the trunk lock control and the trunk light or plug. Based on the size of the wiring, 5 amps max would be all I would run thru it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Since you are on the subject of wire size, amps and capacity can you advise an electronicaly challenged fellow rider.

I assume that my installer has connected my running lights to the power connection behind the left pocket. I plan to also connect a power socket for my XM radio and maybe my lighted rotor covers to this same source. Will this handle the load or should I connect the rotor covers behind the right pocket?

Thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
What brand of lights do you have? We'll start there.
The running lights were installed during the conversion and I have no idea what brand he used. Can find out after the holidays.

I took advantage of Hal's turkey sale and purchased a set of Big Bike Lighted Rotor covers Part No. 52-624. They are similiar to the ring of fire but also have a side light. The papers that came with them make no mention of the amps that they draw. Big Bike web site does not mention amps either. Guess I will wait till after the holidays and amke some calls.
Maybe I will just connect to a acc terminal via switch & relay and then won't have any worries.

Thanks for the attempt

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Sound like LED lights, amperage would be very low, compared to normal real light bulbs. Merry Christmas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts