GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the shelter to adjust the cruse and found what appears to be another 12 volt power source. This plug is located near the cruse adjustment barrel and lock nut. It is a red plug like the one in the left pocket. I think I have read about this one but can’t remember… How many amps will it handle? What is the “intended” purpose of this particular outlet, if it is in fact a 12 volt source? I will check if it is a “switched” 12 volt with the ohm meter after while.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My guess is that you have a Prem. Audio model. Assuming that is the case, this connector is for the heated handgrip accessory. It is switched and connected to the 15A accessory fuse, not through the 5A that is used for the accessory socket by the left pocket.

By the way, it is the same Hitachi connector style as the power connector for the left front fairing plug.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The 5A 'Acc terminal fuse' is only for the accessory terminal screws on the side of the fuseblock.

The other accessory connections (stereo, left & right power plugs, if installed) all share the 15A audio/ACC fuse.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You!

My guess is that you have a Prem. Audio model. Assuming that is the case, this connector is for the heated handgrip accessory. It is switched and connected to the 15A accessory fuse, not through the 5A that is used for the accessory socket by the left pocket.

By the way, it is the same Hitachi connector style as the power connector for the left front fairing plug.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You!

The 5A 'Acc terminal fuse' is only for the accessory terminal screws on the side of the fuseblock.

The other accessory connections (stereo, left & right power plugs, if installed) all share the 15A audio/ACC fuse.

·
Registered
425 Posts

Actually, I disagee. See the attached PDF of the wiring diagram for the '08. Unless I'm missing something, the left fairing pocket power is fused by both the 15A and the 5A. The right (heated grip connector) is only fused by the 15A.

(Sorry about the attachment quality, I tried to upload a single page PDF that was very clear, but it was 48 k and the board won't allow PDF's larger than 19.5 k. I wonder why though since the jpgs are allowed 97 kb?)

Attachments

W

·
0 Posts
Actually, I disagee. See the attached PDF of the wiring diagram for the '08. Unless I'm missing something, the left fairing pocket power is fused by both the 15A and the 5A. The right (heated grip connector) is only fused by the 15A.
If a circuit has multiple fuses than the smallest one is the capacity of the circuit. IOW, the left power plug comes from the 5A accessory fuse which in turn comes from the 15A accessory fuse. The circuit is a 5A circuit since the 5A fuse will be the first to blow if there is an overload.

So the original statement is correct - the left pocket power plug is a 5A accessory circuit and the right side is a 15A circuit (although that 15A circuit is shared among several devices including the left pocket outlet).

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I stand corrected :bow: - they obviously corrected a design oversight since the wiring to the left (and right) pockets might be at risk for a direct short with a 15A fuse. Here is the wiring info for that same circuit on the earlier models.

The Lg/Bl wire that leaves the ACC relay feeds the ACC circuit, left & right fairing pocket connectors, etc. and is only fused by the 15A Audio/ACC fuse #21.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I stand corrected :bow: - they obviously corrected a design oversight since the wiring to the left (and right) pockets might be at risk for a direct short with a 15A fuse. Here is the wiring info for that same circuit on the earlier models.

The Lg/Bl wire that leaves the ACC relay feeds the ACC circuit, left & right fairing pocket connectors, etc. and is only fused by the 15A Audio/ACC fuse #21.
My sat radio was plugged into the power outlet in the left pocket on my '03. The sat radio plug shorted out and blew the fuse. It was driving me nuts because I didn't have power but the acc fuse (#5?) was good. :eek:4:

After pouring over the wiring diagrams I finally figured out that fuse #21 was the prob. :coffee1:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts