GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I would like to put the socket in the left pocket, I see Honda has it for a bit over 30 bucks. But I have read it is not good to use as a cigarette lighter. On Direct Line, Big Bike as one for 13 bucks, it comes with a cigarette ligher also. It is called Plug and Go for the GL1800.
Are these the same and is the wiring strong enough for a cigarette lighter. I believe this is why the Honda socket is not recommended for a lighter, just cell phones and mp3 players.

Thanks in advance
Spike

·
Registered
679 Posts
Spike, the wiring for that fairing pocket accessory plug is only rated at 5 amps. I believe a cigarette lighter unit draws more than that, which could create a fire hazard. You might consider running a separate, 15 amp wiring straight off the battery to the cigarette lighter plug. Then, you could also use it for a mini-compressor, etc.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Roger,
I think I know what you're saying but just to clarify ....

...I believe a cigarette lighter unit draws more than that, which could create a fire hazard.
It will not start a fire, it will just blow the fuse..

You might consider running a separate, 15 amp wiring straight off the battery to the cigarette lighter plug.
Now that WILL create a fire hazard unless you properly fuse it at the battery end...

Dennis

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Or if you are sticking your head inside the fairing pocket to light that dog.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Wingwing,
Roger,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC
...I believe a cigarette lighter unit draws more than that, which could create a fire hazard.

I was of the opinion that the wiring might not handle the increase in amperage and might melt, in addition to blowing the 5 amp fuse.

Quote:
You might consider running a separate, 15 amp wiring straight off the battery to the cigarette lighter plug.

Now that WILL create a fire hazard unless you properly fuse it at the battery end...

You would use an inline fuse, right? On the "+" side of the battery?

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Roger,
The OEM wiring will not melt ... it will just blow the fuse
(of course, if someone has substituted a higher rating fuse
than what the circuit was designed for, THEN you could melt wires).
... but, as designed and delivered, the fuse is the "weakest link" and will blow before you can damage the wiring harness.

Yes, if you add any additional wiring, always fuse it as close as possible to the "+" terminal.

But, adding wires to the "+" terminal is not the best way to go.
With all the "goodies" people like to add, adding wires for each to the "+" terminal quickly makes a jumbled mess there.
I prefer a separate relay controlled fused power strip.
It keeps things neat and will interrupt the power flow to your accessory devices when you start the bike.

Dennis

Wingwing,
Roger,

Quote:

I was of the opinion that the wiring might not handle the increase in amperage and might melt, in addition to blowing the 5 amp fuse.

Quote:

You would use an inline fuse, right? On the "+" side of the battery?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I ran a seperate wire from the battery with a fuse in line. I can plug in small compressor or what ever I want that way. I got the power port at Walmart for $6. And yep, quit smoking. Ever have an ash fly in your eye at 65 mph. Not fun. bb

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you intend to use a 12V power accessory socket as a cigarette lighter the worst possible place to mount it would be in the left side fairing pocket.

You have to open the pocket while riding to get to the cigarette lighter. Probably will leave the cover open while lighting the cig. Fish around by feel to reinsert the cig lighter into socket after lighting your cig, then close the pocket lid. View of & inside the pocket is obscured by left handlebar control cluster. Heavy gloves if worn will complicate the process. Not a lot of clearance between handlebar control cluster and top edge of pocket lid when lid is opened while riding.

Maybe smack an oak tree (or whatever) because your attention is way too distracted for way too long while possibly not keeping eyes on road looking ahead where they should be. Best bet is to mount the cig lighter in a highly-visible and more-easily-accessible location.

There are several aftermarket makers who make standard type 12V cig lighters with lighter handle knobs designed to make them generally waterproof - along with a bracket plate that can be used to mount them just about anywhere if you don't want to commit sacrilege by drilling large holes in Tupperware for mounting the socket body directly to Tupperware.

Drag Specialties and EMGO and J&P Cycles are a few that come to mind immediately.

Lighter if mounted via exterior bracketry should preferably be oriented horizontally rather than vertically to help reduce moisture puddling. Clean up any oxidation that occurs over long-term usage on the socket tube's positive power contact terminal with emery paper, steel wool or dremel tool, and it'll functionally last / work for years.

Love your Self. Cancer Kills.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts