GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Brand new member. My question is i am interested in going to the darkside, but don't want to see the TPMS lit up all the time, Also was wondering if it affects the speedo much. I'm needing tires soon, so I'm counting on some good input. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Reverse register the TPMS allows you to run lower psi in rear with CT and lights will be happy, ( 32psi in rear and 39psi in front) . I run the Michelin primacy Alpin ZP 195/55/16 on rear and love it and speedo and tach are right on.Put 4k on it so far and love it. I recently put the Michelin Pilot Activ on the front 130/70/18 last week. Have 250 miles on it and love it so far.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Darkside

WELCOME to the forum. Hopefully you will be a Darksider soon. Good luck. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I do plan on getting the Michelin's. But how do you "reverse register the TPMS"? And what exactly is that doing?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Thanks everyone. I do plan on getting the Michelin's. But how do you "reverse register the TPMS"? And what exactly is that doing?
​Simply, take the tpms from the front and put it in the rear rim and vice versa!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, but if I simple reverse the sensors, doesn't that mean I would have to have more air in the front tire and the back still wouldn't be low enough for the 32-34 psi for the ct to keep the TPMS lights off?

·
Registered
67 Posts
As I understand it, you might run the rear at 36 and the light won't come on, or you may run it a bit below that and after it warms up a bit it will turn off.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Tpms

I an running 34 in the back. I did reverse register (thanks again Snoopy). On a cold day the light will blink about 10 minutes then turn off.
...gene

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have a spare rear wheel that came off another bike, and the TPMS doesn't work when it's on the bike. Can it be registered? Also, I was told by the tire shop where I got my last CT that the balancing beads will destroy the TPMS. True or not?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Reverse reg is a way to allow lower psi in rear with a CT. How it works is 1st you needs a reg tool (tirerack.com has them $120 shipped) The on board TPMS computer think the front tire is the 1st to be reg so you do the back 1st and vis versa with the front so now rear is set as front so now you can run 32psi in rear and run the front at 38psi with TPMS working as normal. There is a thread on how to step by step to do the procedure. As far as dyna beads and OEM TPMS sensors being damaged is not true. I have a 2010 and pushing 58k on the clock and 55k of that have been with dyna beads in both tires and no issues with sensor damage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so now I know how to work around the air pressure problem, does anybody know a place somewhere around the Lees Summit or Kansas City, Mo area that will do the reverse register and mount a ct on a bike rim?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
OK, so now I know how to work around the air pressure problem, does anybody know a place somewhere around the Lees Summit or Kansas City, Mo area that will do the reverse register and mount a ct on a bike rim?
I am an hour east of st louis if you want to ride over I have the tpms tool to register them, as far as mounting them walmart will do them if you take the rim in without the bike and tell them its for a homade trailer

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am an hour east of st louis if you want to ride over I have the tpms tool to register them, as far as mounting them walmart will do them if you take the rim in without the bike and tell them its for a homade trailer

I might have to take you up on your offer, I'm having trouble finding anyone around here thats willing to do it.:roll:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just disabled my TPMS system and will be buying an aftermarket TPMS system. I thought before I invest the $100.00 for a tool, might as well, put a bit more money to it, and have a much better unit.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I just disabled my TPMS system and will be buying an aftermarket TPMS system. I thought before I invest the $100.00 for a tool, might as well, put a bit more money to it, and have a much better unit.
I'm with you as far as disabling the OEM TPMS system. The only reason to leave it enabled is that you can ride with more lights to look at on your dash. I have a Doran TPMS system on my 2013 (have used it on the last 2 bikes) & I always know what the tire pressure is, in both tires. However I'm not now or ever will be a darksider.;)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I'm with you as far as disabling the OEM TPMS system. The only reason to leave it enabled is that you can ride with more lights to look at on your dash. I have a Doran TPMS system on my 2013 (have used it on the last 2 bikes) & I always know what the tire pressure is, in both tires. However I'm not now or ever will be a darksider.;)
You won't be the first one to say never never, and then switch. You'll love it. Why won't you try a safer, better traction tire with runflat ability?

·
Registered
150 Posts
How do you disable the TPMS? This POC TPMS
on the Goldwing is useless since it does not display tire pressure individually. Again Honda took the cheap way out on their most expensive motorcycle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the tire put on but the tpms light stays on, not the low pressure light. What's the deal? If I do the rverse register of the sensors, will that clear the TPMS light??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts