GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried using something like this to lift your Wing after changing rear tire? My son works for an overhead crane company. Somewhere he was working had one they wanted replaced and asked him if he wanted it, or it was going in the dumpster. There was enough broken pieces at the shop to get this one back running. (Forgot to mention it is electric) I was thinking of mounting it in the rafters and try using it to pick up my bike.
Just wondering if anyone else has tried this?????

I remember see a post from Waldo picking one up with a winch on a four wheeler.

Reactions: cycledude

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
Would think doable just make straps that attache to frame. Anchor what end of bike your not going to lift . Had a yamaha royal star and used enginge jack to lift up rear

·
Registered
289 Posts
Pics please. thanks

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics please. thanks

Will do!!! But it may be awhile before I get it installed. I know I will have to leave it in first and tie the front brake lever to lock the front wheel. My next rear wheel change will most likely be on my table lift to inspect the rear brake pads.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I will use the engine hoist to lift bikes that don’t fit the pitbull lift, if my table is in use. I took some 3” snatch-em’ strap material (from off-roading) to wrap around the frame, for frame protection, it’s rated at 5000# tensile strength, I believe.

If you do mount it in the rafters of your garage, think about additional support for the beams when you use it. They can be removed after the load is off the rafters, so they don’t get in the way for day-to-day.

Dad would use what he had, back in the day, and put a redwood 6x6 across the rafters to use a rope pulley system on to change an engine in a Desoto. It was still there when we kids sold the home. Folks will wonder what that is there for. Makes me smile.

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Always like free stuff and an electric chainfall certainly would be a nice addition to any shop. Not sure why you would need to lift an 1800 for a tire change but here's some info on a GL1500: https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/666127-1500-lifted-chain-hoist.html
Like stated, I have a table lift but would rather lay the bike on its side to change the rear tire. To me it is easier than wrestling the tire through the dropout hole on the lift.

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
780 Posts
Like stated, I have a table lift but would rather lay the bike on its side to change the rear tire. To me it is easier than wrestling the tire through the dropout hole on the lift.
I was with you. Making it easier to get her upright after laying down for a tire change. My only thought is getting her back up after the nap is kinda of a lift, pivot, backup dance with a 900lb Hereford. While somewhat strenuous it also requires some feel and sense of which way to go. A light touch so to speak.

My thought with a winch or lift is that you will have a fixed point for the device. Take some experimenting to find an angle of attack that wouldn't drag the bike across the floor but also not lift it so straight that you are putting too much strain on the lift points or worse, flip it the other way. There's no sense of feel and no precision. I would at least want a helper to catch.

Reactions: Boomer1832cc

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
This lift was pretty effective

Attachment points?

Looks like the rear is attached to the bag guard. Do not see where the front is attached... only see the orange strap touching the ground!

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This lift was pretty effective

WOW!!! LOL!!!! I hope it is not being lifted by the engine guards. I've seen reports of them breaking off when used for tie-down points.

Here is a video posted by a member, @Waldo .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts