GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
First a little background, I've had street bikes for years(40) and always thought about a wing. Got serious in the last year or so and have read lots on this and other forums, I always believe in searching for info rather than asking questions that have been asked over and over from people that can't take the time to do the search. So with lots of searches and lots of info gained I finally found a 2004 GL1800 and bought it last month.

I'd like to add 120v inverter to the trunk of my 1800 to have capibility to charge various things.

So now my ?'s
1) I can't find any info on adding an inverter for 120v power on a GL1800, is this possible?
2) if so is there a limit with the motorcycle battery as to size / amperage of the inverter?
3) if you've done this what brand/models inverters have you used?

Thanks in advance for your time and replies.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Almost any 150 - 300 Watt Inverter will work.

However, there are two caveats:

1.) Be sure to wire the Inverter to the bike with sufficiently sized wires to handle the expected power draw. Power (in Watts) = Voltage X Amperes. So at 300 Watts and 12.6 Volts your wiring needs to support 300/12.6 = 23.81 Amperes . . . . that'd call for some pretty fair sized wires. Also, the longer the wires, the bigger (smaller gauge size numerically) they'll need to be. Do NOT just plug something like this into a Cigarette Lighter style Power Port, it will NOT have wring of sufficient size to carry the load.

2.) Make sure your Engine Speed stays high enough so that your Alternator Output can support the "normal" load of the bike plus the current draw of the Inverter. If not, it'll deplete your battery is fairly short order. My guess would be 2,000 RPM at a minimum. Not exactly idle speed.

FWIW, I have done this with a 150 Watt Inverter some years ago. But I was very careful about how big an Inverter I actually needed (smaller is better) and I wired it accordingly.

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
I run "small" invertor that plugs into cig lighter in my trunk which is wired directly to battery with inline fuse invertor will run my air mattress pump and laptop etc under $20

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

what I was thinking of is a 300 watt wired in fused to a switched source.

Any good ideas as to where to connect direct to accommplish this and if going up 1? 2? gauge of wire over the supplied wire that the manufacturer used in the cig plug would be enough?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
A 300 watt inverted with small gauge wire slightly larger than OEM to the power port is asking for a wire meltdown. Since it's capable of over 20 amp draw as mentioned earlier, it needs some decent wire. And again as mentioned, if the engine isn't running the alternator, the battery will be low/dead in short time.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

what I was thinking of is a 300 watt wired in fused to a switched source.

Any good ideas as to where to connect direct to accomplish this and if going up 1? 2? gauge of wire over the supplied wire that the manufacturer used in the cig plug would be enough?
I'd suggest an 8 Gauge Wire for both the (+) and the (-). I'd also run my wiring directly to the Battery and use a 25 Ampere Fuse. Use Crimp connectors, solder them and then seal them with shrink tubing. If you employ a switch in the wiring, be sure that it can handle 25 Amperes at 16 Volts continuously (worst case scenario in all possible normal operating conditions). You can probably "Get Away" with using a smaller wire (Ex: 10 Gauge) but why risk things and even if it doesn't cause a thermal problem (a fire), it most certainly will limit the capacity of your inverter.

Reactions: networkguy3

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Using an inverter might look good at first blush, but really - what do you need to plug in that you can't get a 12v version of?

For example: phone chargers? 12v versions available. Laptop charger? 12v versions available, air pumps, 12v versions available, etc.

The inverter requires a lot of power to operate, power that is lost in the conversion. It's so much more efficient to just use the 12v system.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Every Christmas, my chapter decorates our bikes for a series of parades through motor home parks for charity. We had better than 20 parks to navigate through over the 15 days of scheduled rides. I had 10 strings of LED lights on my bike. It needed to run on a 110 V converter but running that off of the bikes power was not a doable situation since it is all low speed riding. My solution was to buy a 12V jump starting pack and run the converter off of that. It ran for 4-6 hours and I simply had to recharge the pack overnight to get me to the next days run.

I don't know if this would fit your needs but I fail to see what needs 120V that can not be battery powered. Razors, TVs, etc can be purchased either rechargeable or with 12V cigarette lighter adapters.
Converters draw a ton of power and will make the alternator work overtime.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My original thought was that everything I need to recharge on the road has a 120v plug supplied hence the 120v inverter idea, however after all of the info from the knowledgeable folks here I'm rethinking that.

Thanks for the replies and I'm sure I show my rookie ideas here in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts