GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 2004 abs wing used with 11k miles on it. It was well cared for and made its home in Columbus, OH before.

The 12k miles is up next and the owner manual says to replace: air filter, oil, break fluid and clutch fluid. I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions.

If I have a dealer do it, how much am I expected to pay? Any recommended dealers in the Houston area?

If I decide to do it myself (will be getting a service manual)... but either way.

1. Air cleaner
I suppose this is the air filter and it looks like it's recommended to be changed every 12k miles. Any owner in the Houston area care to chime in whether it needs changing more often than every 12k miles?

2. Break fluid
I suspect this is both front and back. Is it just bleeding the brakes like on a normal bike or it's more complex because of the linked system and the abs?

3. Clutch fluid
I haven't had a bike with clutch fluid before. Is this difficult to change?

Thank you very much.
philip

·
Registered
707 Posts
Philip,

welcome to the board.

First of all what year is the bike. There are additional things that should be done on a regular basis (i.e. Cooleant every 2 years).

1. Air cleaner

Yes, this is the air filter. It requires removing the top shelter and some of the stuff underneath to change it. There are several people that don't change it that frequently.

2. Brake fluid

Again yes, it's front and back. It is just like bleeding where you continue to put new fluid in the reservoir until you can see that the fresh fluid is coming out at the bleeding valve.

3. Clutch fluid

It is done the same way as the brake fluid. A simple process.

Unfortunately I don't know any dealer in the Houston area - I do my regular maintenance work myself as it is a) cheaper and b) more reliable than some of the shops.

Reiner

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's a 2004 - I've edited my original post. sorry for leaving it out but I figured y'all can read my mind :)

thank you for all the advice.

·
Registered
761 Posts
One of the first purchases you should make is a set of Fred's DVD's. They will walk you through all the items you want to do. Go here http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon. Tons of helpful info. Go here for the DVD's http://www.angelridevideos.com . Best money you will ever spend on the wing. Service manual and Fred's DVD's make a great combination. You can do it all yourself and save money plus learn a lot about your bike. The knowledge helps a lot if you ever have trouble on the road. Good luck and enjoy the ride. :biker:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I won't let a dealer touch my bike unless I have no choice. You can do these things and you will know that its been done correctly!!
1.Buy a Honda Service manual.

2.Buy Fred Harmon's DVD set.

3.Buy a MightyVac.

I changed the air filter on my 02 at 18,000 miles, it could have gone longer. I change the brake and clutch fluid every winter using the MightyVac and Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid.

This is the first Gold Wing I've ever owned having purchased it new in June of 2003. It's amazing what I have learned from this board on tips and maintenance.

The site below is Fred's photo gallery of maintenance tasks on wing.
WELL worth a look!!
Welcome to the board and good luck!!

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
philipx said:
I got my 2004 abs wing used with 11k miles on it. It was well cared for and made its home in Columbus, OH before.

The 12k miles is up next and the owner manual says to replace: air filter, oil, break fluid and clutch fluid. I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions.

If I have a dealer do it, how much am I expected to pay? Any recommended dealers in the Houston area?

If I decide to do it myself (will be getting a service manual)... but either way.
1. Air cleaner
I suppose this is the air filter and it looks like it's recommended to be changed every 12k miles. Any owner in the Houston area care to chime in whether it needs changing more often than every 12k miles?

2. Break fluid
I suspect this is both front and back. Is it just bleeding the brakes like on a normal bike or it's more complex because of the linked system and the abs?

3. Clutch fluid
I haven't had a bike with clutch fluid before. Is this difficult to change?

Thank you very much.
philip
Hello there is a service man (HONDA) on ebay although it is for a 2002.(you have lighted hand controls)... IF someone bids on this PLEASE let me know so I dont bid against you....chuck..I dont NEED another one.....Freds videos are PRICELESS

·
Registered
500 Posts
I just finished the 12,000 mile on my 06 and did what some of the other posts suggest. I purchased Fred H's DVD's and also bought a Honda service manual. I am not a mechanic and gained a lot of knowledge and confidence about working on my own Wing. Also I have the confidence that the job was done with TLC. ChuckR :lol:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Since it's a 2004 I would recommend performing the following additional items:

- Cooleant change (required after 2 years irregarding of mileage)
- Final Drive Oil

Since it is unclear when the last oil change was done I would do that as well at this time (something I always do right away when buying a used bike).

Reiner

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
philipx said:
phil,

If the bike has been driven in very dusty conditions or rode in heavy rain all the time, the air cleaner might be dirty at 12k miles. Mine was ridden in normal conditions and was changed at 16k and didn't need to be changed. I've got 22k on the one that's installed now and will change it out soon. If it's pretty clean, I'll stretch out the change interval again. Since you just got your bike, you may want to change it out as a comfort factor.

Changing out brake and clutch fluid at 12k is way over the top. I just changed mine (because I replaced the pads all around) at 38k. The front resevoir fluid was a little brown but very clear... didn't need to be changed. The rear resevoir had some absorbed water in it making it a bit cloudy. It hadn't caused any problems and the amount of absorbed water was very little based on how cloudy it was. Regardless, it was good to change it. The clutch fluid didn't need changing. If I were you, look at the resevoirs. If the fluid is clear and not too brown, I'd leave it alone. BTW, get a speed bleeder if you're going to bleed the systems... they work a lot better than a Mity-Vac - I have both.

Even if you've wrenched before, a service manual is invaluable and Honda is the best. If you've wrenched before, you probably don't need videos.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Unfortunately, looking at the condition of the fluid in the reservoir does not tell you the condition of the fluid in the caliper. Moisture in the system gets pushed down into the caliper and there is where it does its damage.

I was told by a Honda rep that every two years is adequate to change out the fluid. But with the correct tools it is easy enough to do annually.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Changed my air filter at around 40,000 and it could have gone longer. I don't recommend going that long but I DO recommend Fred's video. I'm a fair wrench but I would not have wanted to tackle that job with just the service manual

1 - 11 of 11 Posts