GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a place to install a 12v adapter (up front) where you can hook it to an "always hot" power source? Sorry...not too technical on this end. Thanks. :tools1:

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
F14-RIO said:
Is there a place to install a 12v adapter (up front) where you can hook it to an "always hot" power source? Sorry...not too technical on this end. Thanks. :tools1:

Use this in the lefthand pocket,it's just plug and play. After you remove the lefthand fairing pocket there is a connector this just plugs into. The instruction sheet will be more specificabout it's location. HDL or Electrical Connection have them. Terry

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please confirm

Please confirm that the 12v connection under the Left pocket is "alway hot". Thanks.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Re: Please confirm

F14-RIO said:
Please confirm that the 12v connection under the Left pocket is "alway hot". Thanks.
It is not always hot and also the circuit is only good for a 5 amp draw.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
F14-RIO said:
Why don't you tell us what you need to power up on constant and maybe we can give you some alternate suggestions for connectors and such.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Using the 12v accessory plug

I'm looking to be able to run my MP3 player while parked and/or charge my cell phone/digital camera overnight while on the road (camping). Don't think I need a lot of amperage.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bad idea! If you pull too much juice out of the battery charging those things at night you won't even be able to push the bike off in the morning.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I mounted one in the left pocket (on with key) for the XM radio. I mounted one in trunk (always hot) for charging. That way what I leave charging is locked up. Plug and play, other than drilling a hole to mount them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Since the front left pocket is unsecured, consider using the trunk. There is an always hot connector available and the item is secured under lock. Charging a cell overnight should not take the battery down to a level where it would affect starting. However, just to be prudent, I'd do a test run at the house.

Your battery is designed to run 20 amps for 1 hour. The charge rate on my cell charger is about .15 amp so it would take 133 hours (or so) to run it down. The phone is not going to charge all night...once the battery is full, it will back down to a lower float or stop charging alltogether. Of course this takes into account the battery in good condition with a good charge. YMMV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts