GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it as easy as lifting the seat, hooking one up to the battery, cutting a hole in the plastic to the rear trunk and done ?

Where would I get a 12V plug that is fused with red/black wire ready to connect to the battery ?

A link would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, didn't know there was a plug and play in the trunk?

Where is the plug in the trunk if you don't mind me asking?

Couldn't find a DIY post anywhere.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
You remove the trunk lid liner.

Note: this plug will be 'unswitched', hot all the time -- just like if you'd wired it directly to the battery.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I like to hook up to the battery with a sae cord, from the battery tender, and use a sae to 12 volt socket adapter. Amazon or ebay has them.

When you need to use a battery tender, remove the adapter and there the hookup is.

I save all the trouble of removing the inner trunk lid, and drilling, I like to go through the cb wire hole, and have an extra 18 inches or so, to allow my electronic items an easy spot to charge from. One of the three pocket trunk organizers holds phone, camera etc etc

So simple, even I can do it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You will have to remove the liner. Unplug the main wire harness so you can take out the liner. Make sure you look at the liner and the inside of the trunk. The inside of the trunk is not flat, it is concave. You will need to drill in a location that will allow the plug to fit in without contact the inside of the lid. There are two small connectors inside by the main harness. One is hot all the time and the other only works when the brake light is on. I cannot remember if it is the red or white connector, but I do not believe the connectors will interchange with the plug.

Anyway, plug into one of the connectors and then plug in a phone charger or something similiar and see if the device shows it is charging. If not, activate one of the brakes and if the device shows it is charging switch to the other plug.

In the trunk, I believe it is the red plug.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
the always on is nice for charging stuff. You don't wanna leave a computer on there overnight, but a cellphone or a camera works well.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Wow, didn't know there was a plug and play in the trunk?

Where is the plug in the trunk if you don't mind me asking?

Couldn't find a DIY post anywhere.

Thanks a lot.
If not mistaken it has about the same capacity as the one under the left front pocket. In other words if you try to plug in an air compressor you might fry a circuit. I ran mine under the seat straight to the battery and wired in a 15 amp fuse in the positive wire.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If I remember correctly using the factory wiring in the front left storage area and the trunk, limit you to a 5 amp draw, I have those, but what I did so I could run an air pump or strong light in an emergency is when I ran a permanent connection to the battery for my Battery Minder ( Charger ),
I made an adapter to plug into that pigtail that converts it to a cigarette lighter
type socket for emergency use.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
If not mistaken it has about the same capacity as the one under the left front pocket. In other words if you try to plug in an air compressor you might fry a circuit. I ran mine under the seat straight to the battery and wired in a 15 amp fuse in the positive wire.

I have a Battery Tender. The connection is directly to the battery. The cord comes straight out the side cover near the battery and the Slime Compressor has a connector which will work with this.

Thus, I don't run a 15 amp wire to my cell phone/laptop in the trunk. No fried circuits, no fried electronics.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
an alternate way of getting an additional "switched" 12v source into the trunk
(if you don't plan on using the unused brake light wire that is also there)

under the lid are two connectors
1) 12v always hot
and
2) a brake light wire in case you want to put a brake light spoiler up there
.. this brake light wire is already cleanly wired and contained in the bundle going to the trunk.

If you take off the seat, you can find that "lid" bundle of wires that contains the brake light wire.

Cut that wire and bring it out (that is, extend it)
to the ACC lugs on the fuse box.
(of course, cap the unused end you cut so it does not touch "ground" and blow
a fuse when you apply the brakes)

Now, what WAS an unused brake light wire is a 12v "switched" source under the trunk lid..
.. and since the wire is already neatly run for you, you don't have to
to be concerned with a DIY "solution" or drilling any new holes in the trunk.

Dennis

·
Registered
498 Posts
Is it as easy as lifting the seat, hooking one up to the battery, cutting a hole in the plastic to the rear trunk and done ?

Where would I get a 12V plug that is fused with red/black wire ready to connect to the battery ?

A link would be appreciated.

Thanks
I ordered from Powerlet the parts to do this. I connected directly to the battery with a fused line ending in a SAE connector. This then connects to a cigarette lighter connection. It is run under the seat and rather than cut a hole in the top box I just drape it in over the back of the box. There is plenty of room nothing gets crimped and is covered by the back rest. This is completely removable if I ever decide to and allows me to connect a batter tender or any accessory I want.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i ordered from powerlet the parts to do this. I connected directly to the battery with a fused line ending in a sae connector. This then connects to a cigarette lighter connection. It is run under the seat and rather than cut a hole in the top box i just drape it in over the back of the box. There is plenty of room nothing gets crimped and is covered by the back rest. This is completely removable if i ever decide to and allows me to connect a batter tender or any accessory i want.

bingo....thanks !

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a question. If I install the power plug in the trunk, can I use a AC converter in order to power my laptop or will that draw too much power?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a question. If I install the power plug in the trunk, can I use a AC converter in order to power my laptop or will that draw too much power?
it would depend on the converter stats. Many laptops and netbooks have cigarette lighter adapters available if you look online for them. YOu can them run and or charge your computer from the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts