GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not add the accessory usb port to use for charging?
That's what I was thinking but today I plugged the phone in the USB jack in the glove box thinking phone would charge, phone did not indicate it was charging. Did I miss something?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Run positive and negative wire straight off the battery to the trunk and mount receptacle wherever convenient. Use a fuse in the circuit.
Phone should not run battery down if bike is not running for awhile. Optional, put a relay in circuit that is triggered off the accessory terminal on the fuse block near battery.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Run positive and negative wire straight off the battery to the trunk and mount receptacle wherever convenient. Use a fuse in the circuit.
Phone should not run battery down if bike is not running for awhile. Optional, put a relay in circuit that is triggered off the accessory terminal on the fuse block near battery.
That's what I was thinking but curious where people where mounting in trunk.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
That's what I was thinking but today I plugged the phone in the USB jack in the glove box thinking phone would charge, phone did not indicate it was charging. Did I miss something?
I'd bet a bad cable or it wasn't pushed in correctly or needed to wait longer for icon to show.

I charge mine in the in front 'glovebox' there from time to time.

(just verified that it will charge there, to be sure I was n't having a gray-haired moment)

I think bike needs to be running or on ACC.
Might be a delay from plug in til the charge icon activates.

·
Registered
477 Posts
What year?

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
That's what I was thinking but curious where people where mounting in trunk.
Honda does a 'trunk mount' for the #1 usb connector on the airbag bikes (that don't have the front glovebox)

There is/was a thread on here showing installation of the accessory usb in the trunk instead of in Honda's location in the LH bag.
Page 94 of owners manual shows where Honda routes it on airbag.

(the side bag location for the accessory kit can be used on a non-tour, a tour, and an airbag)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd bet a bad cable or it wasn't pushed in correctly or needed to wait longer for icon to show.

I charge mine in the in front 'glovebox' there from time to time.

(just verified that it will charge there, to be sure I was n't having a gray-haired moment)

I think bike needs to be running or on ACC.
Might be a delay from plug in til the charge icon activates.
I will try USB again, I probably didn't wait long enough. Another post said the same thing you did. As Sammy Davis sung "It's Gotta Be Me"

·
Registered
271 Posts
I added a dual USB port on the top of the left saddle bag and wired it direct to the battery. This allows the rear passenger to plug her phone in when we are traveling and listening to books on her phone, and allows us to plug in both of our Bluetooth helmets when ever we stop.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I added a dual USB port on the top of the left saddle bag and wired it direct to the battery. This allows the rear passenger to plug her phone in when we are traveling and listening to books on her phone, and allows us to plug in both of our Bluetooth helmets when ever we stop.
Could you post a photo at your convenience? Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looking for any input about installing a 12V power source in trunk. Someplace to plug in a cell phone.
Where did you locate your jack in the trunk? Will run wires down to the battery area. Thinking about something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Mo...la-760317580777&ref=&adgrpid=76361197332&th=1
I decided to install one of these in trunk, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LB4AD3I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Then plug one of these into the plug, https://www.powerlet.com/product/pr...ile-to-dual-cigarette-socket-24-coil-cable/49.

I've used this setup on my K1200LT for many years, which works well when you have a fully loaded trunk and need to charge something, either 12 volt or 5 volt using a usb plug adapter. The Powerlet plug is a lot shallower than a regular cigarette lighter style plug, which allows it to be mounted in the GW trunk next to one of the speakers, and not interfere with the body panel that covers the speaker. I also installed another plug on the left side down by the engine, which I use to plug in a battery maintainer. Both the Powerlet plugs are on the same circuit coming off the battery with a fuse. They are both always hot so the one in the trunk will still charge stuff when the bike is off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
the front cubby usb will charge your phone, with an appropriate cable, quickly. and a secondary usb cable plugged in and run up through the seat will charge your passenger's phone on the fly. both need the bike to be turned on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts