GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Let's see some before and after dynamometer data from Guhl Motors. Data has been very scarce.

There may be little or no increase in power and I don't see a need to rev a torquey motor higher. It just stresses the parts and who knows what rpm the valve springs are designed for.

I believe the main change is in throttle progressivity, so, how can you judge the power output when you don't know the true relationship between the position of your wrist and the angle of the throttle plate.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

Attachments

·
Vendor
22,059 Posts
Let's see some before and after dynamometer data from Guhl Motors. Data has been very scarce.

There may be little or no increase in power and I don't see a need to rev a torquey motor higher. It just stresses the parts and who knows what rpm the valve springs are designed for.

I believe the main change is in throttle progressivity, so, how can you judge the power output when you don't know the true relationship between the position of your wrist and the angle of the throttle plate.
You are correct. No changes have been made (yet) to the fuel or ignition timing maps. The only changes we have made is to the throttle mapping.

In the future we may start to do some work on the fuel and ignition mapping, but for now our main goals were to smooth out the Sport Mode, improve power in Tour Mode, and get rid of the speed limiter, and we have achieved those goals.

·
Registered
998 Posts
You are correct. No changes have been made (yet) to the fuel or ignition timing maps. The only changes we have made is to the throttle mapping.

In the future we may start to do some work on the fuel and ignition mapping, but for now our main goals were to smooth out the Sport Mode, improve power in Tour Mode, and get rid of the speed limiter, and we have achieved those goals.
Thanks for factual update. No doubt some additional power can be found if the bike is tuned for premium fuel instead of 87 octane. Let's see a 91 octane tune.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Here is the latest info for the ECU re-flash. Quoted directly from Don Guhl:

2018-19 Goldwing (DCT 7 Speed and Std Shift 6 speed)

Currently, we are able to:
• Raise or completely remove the speed limiter
• Raise the rev limit
• Lower the fan operating temperature
• We are able to make the drive mode setting "Sticky", meaning that the drive mode setting will stay where it was last set, instead of resetting to "Tour" mode every time the bike was restarted
• Modify the throttle-by-wire settings for each drive mode. Currently we have modified the "Tour" mode be slightly more aggressive for a sportier feel. We have also modified the "Sport" mode to be slightly less aggressive in the lower gears at lower throttle settings so it is more manageable during low speed maneuvers.
If you want to have your ECU refreshed, box up your ECU with a note with your name, phone number, and return shipping address.
Ship it to:
Guhl Motors
102 S. State St.
Ephrata, PA 17522-2411
Once received, we will call you or you can call us when you see that it is delivered, so we can go over the technical details of the flash to set it up correctly for you and get your payment information.
The cost is $375 and that includes std overnight return shipping in the USA. International shipping is available at additional cost.
We accept Visa, Mastercard, or Discover. You are also welcome to send a money order along if you like.
In house turn around time is roughly 3 days, depending on workload.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I have no clue as to why the new models speed is limited to 112mph. Too low in my opinion.

But, just a thought.

The previous generation 1800s top speed was limited by air resistance on the fairing/windscreen to around 130 mph. It was stable at that speed. The new wing has a smaller frontal profile and about the same power so, theoretically, it will go faster. But what happens to its stability? And, at what speed may a problem develop?

·
Vendor
22,059 Posts
I have no clue as to why the new models speed is limited to 112mph. Too low in my opinion.

But, just a thought.

The previous generation 1800s top speed was limited by air resistance on the fairing/windscreen to around 130 mph. It was stable at that speed. The new wing has a smaller frontal profile and about the same power so, theoretically, it will go faster. But what happens to its stability? And, at what speed may a problem develop?

Actually, the previous generation Wing has a speed limiter of 200kph (about 124mph) set in its ECM.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Actually, the previous generation Wing has a speed limiter of 200kph (about 124mph) set in its ECM.
Did Don remove that limiter when he was doing the changes for low speed issue?

Do we no what the resulting speed capability was (on a closed track, of course)?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Did Don remove that limiter when he was doing the changes for low speed issue?

Do we no what the resulting speed capability was (on a closed track, of course)?
Yes.

In this thread there is a vid of a 6-speed manual with the pin buried at 135 in 5th gear. In the FB thread, the rider says the bike has more to give. No mention of what a GPS or radar said, or a final top speed. IIRC, the rider said he slowed down after getting to 135.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Thanks for factual update. No doubt some additional power can be found if the bike is tuned for premium fuel instead of 87 octane. Let's see a 91 octane tune.
I may be ignorant of the facts and require enlightenment. My current understanding is that the use of higher octane fuel...by itself...can't possibly increase power performance. All it can do is retard ignition.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Yes.

In this thread there is a vid of a 6-speed manual with the pin buried at 135 in 5th gear. In the FB thread, the rider says the bike has more to give. No mention of what a GPS or radar said, or a final top speed. IIRC, the rider said he slowed down after getting to 135.
Yes, but those are the new 1833/6 speed.

What I was wondering about was the ECM's that were modified for the 1832's -- which had the 200kph speed limiter Fred H posted about.

(200kph approx = 124 mph; which resulted in somewhere around 128 or 130 indicated on the 1832's)

·
Vendor
22,059 Posts

What I was wondering about was the ECM's that were modified for the 1832's -- which had the 200kph speed limiter Fred H posted about.

(200kph approx = 124 mph; which resulted in somewhere around 128 or 130 indicated on the 1832's)

Yes, Don disabled the speed limiter on the previous generation bikes, but I don't know what the final top speed on that bike was with the limiter removed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is there a Power Vision 3 or like device that’s available so riders can upload/download to their own ECUs, vice shipping them off for flashing?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

O.k. Didn't see the 1832 reference in your post.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.