GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 13K miles on my Kumho, it is showing sings of wear - probably have about 1K miles left before I have to replace it. Thought I would get at least 15-18K. My mc tires were wearing out after 9K miles so I guess I should be happy. I do enjoy using my throttle so that may be the root cause. I have had not problems with this tire from a performance standpoint and will order another one. Local dealer charges $25 to mount a new tire if I bring in the wheel.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Thought about a Pirelli?? I got 16K out of mine before replacement after buying the tire and wheel used with supposedly 3K miles on it.

Very pleased with performance.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Glad it worked out good for you and I guess the mileage isn't all that bad. A good trade off considering the performance and reliability the Kumho delivers.:thumbup:

That right wrist will get you every time.;)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought about a Pirelli?? I got 16K out of mine before replacement after buying the tire and wheel used with supposedly 3K miles on it.

Very pleased with performance.
Once I like something I hate to change, saw posts about Pirelli - does it come in a RF?

S

·
0 Posts
At 13K miles on my Kumho, it is showing sings of wear - probably have about 1K miles left before I have to replace it. Thought I would get at least 15-18K. My mc tires were wearing out after 9K miles so I guess I should be happy. I do enjoy using my throttle so that may be the root cause. I have had not problems with this tire from a performance standpoint and will order another one. Local dealer charges $25 to mount a new tire if I bring in the wheel.
I just put on my 2nd Kumho K21 - 40k out of the first one which I replaced early due to an upcoming 5k trip. My 2nd is at 6k right now and still has the little nubs. I have no doubt 45k is in reach.
If you only get 14k something is not right.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I just put on my 2nd Kumho K21 - 40k out of the first one which I replaced early due to an upcoming 5k trip. My 2nd is at 6k right now and still has the little nubs. I have no doubt 45k is in reach.
You are correct. Something is not right and it has nothing to do with tires.

The KR21 Solus is a non run-flat with a UTOG of 640 and is not available in 195/55-16. What two-wheeled motorcycle are you using these tires on?

S

·
0 Posts
Lets see - Goldwing , valkyrie and the st11. I run the 205x60
Great tires and I also have them on my Jeep and Lexus

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
12,800mi from my 1st Kumho and 12,000mi with the Pirelli, 13,000mi with the Dunlop SP, someone needs to tell or show me how to ride!:joke: I only get 8,000mi from the Stone M/T.....

S

·
0 Posts
So far I think they are great. I run only the NRF tires Kumho Solis K21 205x60 which is bigger in diameter than the stock tire so the speedometer is no spot on.
Last tire lasted 40k but still has a good 5k or better left as it just barely hit the wear bars.
Current tire is the exact same thing and still looks brand new with 5K on it.
I have this same tire on the Valkyrie and that one has 17k and is in new condition.
I also run this tire on my Jeep and Lexus and they not only perform and wear well but none of my tires have any balance weights on them. Round true and factory balanced.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I changed my one and only Kuhmo for a Pirelli at 13.5k; had a long trip upcoming & wanted fresh rubber for that ride.

There was probably 1k ~ 1.5k remaining, but had that trip not been when it was, I would have had any issues of consuming that tire.

Going to do the same thing with the Pirelli I have on the rim in the garage...might burn that one up later on this fall when the riding here in the desert gets better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts