GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe some day there will be an electric touring bike. I guess you could get a long enough range if you haul the batteries behind in a Bushtec.:lol: My question... would riding a bike that hums instead of making a normal engine sound take away some of the fun?

Mission One unveils 150mph Electric Sportbike

February 4, 2009 Mission Motors emerged from stealth start-up mode at TED2009 today, unveiling a truly landmark motorcycle and one which will no doubt be creating rumblings through every motorcycle manufacturer in the world as you read this. The Mission One is almost certainly the world's fastest production all-electric motorcycle, but at the same time catapults electric motorcycles into contention as genuine sports motorcycles. With a top speed of 150 MPH and a range of 150 miles, the Mission One rivals existing sportbikes, but it's the torque of the electric motor which will make ALL the difference - 100 lb-ft from 0 rpm all the way to 6500 rpm – by comparison, a 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 produces 85 lb-ft at 10,000 rpm and the torquiest motorcycle on the market, the 2.3 litre Triumph Rocket III, produces 147 lb-ft.

http://www.gizmag.com/mission-one-unveils-150mph-electric-sportbike/10909/

·
Registered
855 Posts
that is the future, my friend! got to be a pretty awesome ride with all that power at the low end (or, in this case, NO end!). as for the sound - isn't that pretty much how Harley riders feel about our GLs ?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
This might not be as far off as we think. Already some electric vehicles are using lithium batteries as they are much smaller and hold more charge than nimhs or lead acid. Instead of a pile of huge batteries taking up a lot of space under a seat, they can connect a large number of the smaller lithium cells and stick them against the insides of panels. In cars they could be fitted inside doors or wheelarch inners and not take up valuable storage space. On a Goldwing there would be many places to fit the cells, maybe inside fairings and saddlebag lids, under the saddle etc.

·
Registered
855 Posts
this is truly interesting. i just googled this thing and it appears to be a real, true, bad-ass, no BS sport bike built by people who really know sportbikes! i really want one! the price tag kinda' cooled my jets, though - $69,000 !

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Saw a lot about that electric drag bike (KillaCycle).. There seems to be no limit to the amount of power you can make!!
http://www.killacycle.com/

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
That's too cool. Check out the other You Tube videos of the electric cars beating Corvettes, Porshe, and Ferrari. Also the 500 hp Dodge Viper getting beat by the electric running on laptop batteries.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just get a spoke wheel model and put the 'ol baseball cards on like we did way back when to bicycles....LOL:joke:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Maybe some day there will be an electric touring bike. I guess you could get a long enough range if you haul the batteries behind in a Bushtec.:lol: My question... would riding a bike that hums instead of making a normal engine sound take away some of the fun?

Mission One unveils 150mph Electric Sportbike

February 4, 2009 Mission Motors emerged from stealth start-up mode at TED2009 today, unveiling a truly landmark motorcycle and one which will no doubt be creating rumblings through every motorcycle manufacturer in the world as you read this. The Mission One is almost certainly the world's fastest production all-electric motorcycle, but at the same time catapults electric motorcycles into contention as genuine sports motorcycles. With a top speed of 150 MPH and a range of 150 miles, the Mission One rivals existing sportbikes, but it's the torque of the electric motor which will make ALL the difference - 100 lb-ft from 0 rpm all the way to 6500 rpm – by comparison, a 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 produces 85 lb-ft at 10,000 rpm and the torquiest motorcycle on the market, the 2.3 litre Triumph Rocket III, produces 147 lb-ft.

http://www.gizmag.com/mission-one-unveils-150mph-electric-sportbike/10909/
Can't wait til they come out with boats powered by electric motors.The battery could sit next to the hull and the heat sink could be cooled by water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts