GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted this in 2 other places here as I need some advice.

Can anyone out there help me? I have, or should I say my wife has an 88 1500 Champion Trike and the alternator went out. I upgraded to a Compufire and I have been having one HECK of a time trying to get it in. I put the new rubbers in but it seems like the Trike crossmember is in the way and I just cannot get it in and turned to go into place. I had to stop for the night to keep my sanity. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I used to have a 1989 1500 with CSC Sport kit. I also had a compufire alternator.
First, use a little grease to hold the rubber couplings in place so there is space between them for the fins of the alternator drive.
2nd, use a piece of wire to hold the metal line that runs behind the alternator to the rear of the trike. I used a coathanger looped around this line and pulled it back and tied it off. You need all the room you can get.
3rd, I think the 1988 has different size bolt posts sticking out of the engine. I seem to remember that there might be an issue with that. Not a difficult fix tho.
Last, just angle the compufire rear end first towards the back of the trike, then move the drive coupling in past the block.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not in yet

No I have not gotten it in yet, doing research before I go to taking more parts off. Spoke with a Champion Trike builder/installer today, he said it CAN be done because he has done it more than once, just a lot of patience and when least expecting it, it will slip right into place. I am taking this bit of positive advice and plan on attempting to work on it tonight for a few and if not, I may just have my weekend planned for me. I just finished putting my Tag Along together so that project is done, at least until I make my modifications.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well

Well everyone, I would like to thank you for all your advice. I still think you can get a Compufire in a 1500 Champion Trike, I just think that it has to be put in before it becomes a Trike. After 5 days trying to get it in after work, I gave up last night and today took the original one and had it re-built, new brushes and bearings. Had it back when I got off work and in less than an hour I had everything hooked up. Currently I am putting a full charge on the battery before I take it out and hopefully enjoy the sun on Friday. I have read a little too late that a Compu-fire won't fit in a Champion Trike. I think Compu-fire should post a warning. No there was nothing stated anywhere in or on the box or paperwork that this would not fit in a 1500 Champion Trike. I would almost say I wasted a week, but I did learn a few more things about our Trike, so it can be said this was positive. And Yes, this IS my wife's Trike, I ride an 1800, but hers is so much fun that I steal it once or twice a week. When I get all our toys paid off, I plan on mine becoming three wheeled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts