GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any takers?? Leaving Decatur Alabama around 5am. Meet at the closest point along the route to your location. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Oww! I don't envy you that route, with Virginia as part of it. You've given yourself a challenge.
Ride safe, and Good Luck! :D

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
uffda...looks like that should be a challenge. BTW...how did you do that with the map and routing? Ive been trying to do the same thignw ith making a SS1000 map so I could see exactly where I was going and planning.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ryan,

I used Microsoft Streets & Trips. It's a very popular routing program. It does a lot of neat stuff like calculating mileage, provides longitude and latitude coordinates. You can also program in your average speed and price of fuel per gallon and it will estimate your total travel time, estimate where you would stop every night based on how long you want to be on the road, and will estimate your total fuel cost.

I bought the software at Circuit City for about $40. I recently saw someone offering it for quite a bit less, but I can't find that link. Try searching google, maybe you will come up with a deal. Amazon may be a good place to check for deals also.

The only drawback I've found with Streets & Trips is that it will not update itself as new roads are constructed. You have to go out and buy the newest version every few years if you want to keep up with the newest roads. I bought mine about 3 years ago and need to go buy the new version.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AKLDRIDER said:
Oww! I don't envy you that route, with Virginia as part of it. You've given yourself a challenge.
Ride safe, and Good Luck! :D
Oh yeah!! Thanks for the reminder! I have to put the radar detector away for the 324-mile portion of the trip down I-81 in VA since radar detectors are illegal there. Will need to rely on the CB, most of the time. Even if I only ride 5 mph over for the whole trip, I'll be well under 24 hours as long as I keep rolling. That's OK, it will just make things a little more interesting!!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Thanks, I ll have to take a look at getting that program.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Keep an eye out as you travel on 81. It's a very heavily travelled truck route. Right now they are trying to consider some type of rail solution to all the truck travel/accidents. I read somewhere that truckers prefer that road but I can't remember why. Either doesn't have weigh stations or something like that. You'll have plenty of cb company... Good luck!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Have a fun ride. Ever been to the bat factory in Louisville? You oughta go if you're ahead of schedule.

Be safe!!!

·
Registered
21,053 Posts
good luck with your ride !

i have streets and trips, got it from Sams club for $25 last year

it can do way more stuff than i will ever use but i wish it came with some better instructions, i guess your supposed to figure it out yourself, maybe fine for computer geeks but for me better instructions would b nice

1 - 11 of 11 Posts