GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happily owned a GL1200I in the past that was pretty bullet proof. I was going to purchase a used 1800 GW. After discovering the cracked frame issue I thought OK I'll shoot for late 2004 & up. Then I discover transmission 5th gear issue. Too old to break down away from home. Too small a wallet to pay for a surprise trans rebuild. Reluctantly I'm pushed to consider the 1500 Valkyrie Interstate now. Appears pretty bullet proof if well maintained.

Good decision? Other choices? Older rider looking for comfort & reliability. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Valkyrie Interstate is a great bike. Parked or running, stands out from a crowd for sure. I do miss mine from time to time. You would be very pleased with everything about it except perhaps the fuel mileage. Be gentle and you can eek out 40mpg but the temptation is too great.

Personally I would not be that concerned with those issues if you check it over well. Lots of 2001 GL1800s on the road with six digit mileage and no issues. Verify all recalls are done.

But if you have a concern, you should consider a GL1500 Goldwing. In my area, a nice clean wing is same or less money than the Valk and brings cruise and reverse.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just a few things to consider...

I put over 112,000 on my Interstate and loved every mile and the guy that I sold it to still rides with me almost every weekend. It now has 135,000miles and runs and looks great. BUT keep in mind the Valk has 6 carburetors not fuel injection, no reverse, no cruise control and a much heavier feel at low speed due to a 6.9 gal gas tank up high unlike the Wings tank down low.

Reactions: BigBob1

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Carbs vs fuel injection makes the decision easy for me, but perhaps the big question(s) is what sort of riding do you do and do you usually ride solo or with a passenger??

·
Registered
496 Posts
I currently own 99 Valkyrie Interstate and wife has a 2000 Valkyrie Interstate Trike. I've also owned and sold 4 other Valkyries. They are great bikes. One of the best Big bikes ever produced. Fairly easy to work on for the wrench types. They have a couple flaws that have not caused me to sell ours. The previously mentioned 6 carbs vs Fuel injected. This really only matters if you don't ride it a lot and does get you about 20% less in mileage. If consistently ridden not much of an issue. Interstate is top heavy compared to a GL1800. Just the way it is. Valkyrie accessory parts are hard to find. I've bought a Valkyrie just for some accessories I wanted and then resold the bike. Not having a cruise control is a pain in the a__. There are some nice locks out there but not the same. One guy sells a pretty good electronic cruise control but it costs $1000 and difficult to install. I have this on my 99 and wife has a nice lock. They did not come with a center stand and it is difficult to find and expensive. The Valkyrie is the best looking bike to me that I have ever seen. Currently the Valkyrie may be the best buy of any older used motorcycle on the market, if these don't concern you too much.
I've also owned a Goldwing for over 25 years. Owned a GL1500 Goldwing Aspencade for 10 years. This was my wife's favorite 2 wheel touring bike. When the shock system is working correctly it rides like a caddie. Really smooth. I found the GL1500 to be the most boring of the 3 bikes for the driver. Only 2 carbs so not as quick or fast as a Valkyrie.
Currently own a 2009 GL1800 Level 4 Goldwing. This is the best riding bike I've ever owned. It has the Full Monty Traxxion system installed and is a blast to drive. Goldwing looks just don't compare to a Valkyrie. I still love owning a Valkyrie Interstate and GL1800 Goldwing together and will for the foreseeable future.

Dan

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you want to worry about "what ifs"; do some research on "hydraulic lock" on the valks..

I really liked my Valk. It was a pleasure to work on vs this mega paneled bike. But there was always a concern about the hydraulic lock issue. I am happy to have that be gone. The 1800 is much quieter on the freeway.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I was an avid Valkyrie owner and parts maker. I had a friend who owned a 2001 gold wing and he insisted I make a part for the GL1800 that I had sold for the GL1500 but I told him I would not make a part for a bike that I didn't use myself. Well, he broke his leg and called me from Erie PA to come get his bike for a month. After two rides I was sold on the GL1800 for its superior handling characteristics along with its creature comforts, stereo and air control. I had both after I bought the wing and found myself hardly ever riding my Valkyrie. When you get on a Valkyrie after riding a wing, the Valkyrie feels like driving a truck while the the GL1800 feels like a well tuned sports car. I often rode my Valkyrie to Myrtle Beach 824 miles in 1 day from Youngstown Ohio but arrived very tired. With the GL1800 it was a breeze - it was like the bike rode itself. The Valkyrie became my "saloon" bike (aka Harley) for short jaunts and hot rod shows and my wing became my go to for every other ride. Eventually the Valkyrie just sat in the stable. It finally got sold to a church member and he enjoyed it immensely until he succumbed and it got passed to his son. Have you ridden both? make sure you do before making your choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
If your 1200I didn't have cruise control (depends on your year), then you won't miss it from the Valk. You won't miss the fuel injection, but you didn't have it on the 1200I. Your 1200I didn't have reverse (although that was probably a little (100#?) less weight than a Valk.

I wouldn't worry about the other possible problems you might have on a Valk. There are other possible problems you could have on the 1800 (like the 5th gear issue). All bikes have the possibility of problems.

I'd pick the bike I wanted (Valk, 1500 GW or 1800 GW) and not worry about it. If you research the purchase and it's the bike you want, you'll love riding it.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I happily owned a GL1200I in the past that was pretty bullet proof. I was going to purchase a used 1800 GW. After discovering the cracked frame issue I thought OK I'll shoot for late 2004 & up. Then I discover transmission 5th gear issue. Too old to break down away from home. Too small a wallet to pay for a surprise trans rebuild. Reluctantly I'm pushed to consider the 1500 Valkyrie Interstate now. Appears pretty bullet proof if well maintained.

Good decision? Other choices? Older rider looking for comfort & reliability. Thanks for your input.

You can get some good deals on a NEW 2016's. That gives you full warranty and option for extended as well. I think in 2014 they changed the transmission to fix the 5th gear drop. The frame break hasn't been a problem. I believe the transmission were mostly 2006's. A lot of bikes don't get much riding, while others may have 200k miles. The Valk and 1800 GW are very different bikes. It's almost like asking if I should get a station wagon or a sports car.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had a new 2001 Valkyrie Interstate and it was a great bike. I had a new 1997 Goldwing and a new 2012 GW also so I'll comment on this issue:

I do all of my own maintenance so the Valk wins in that regard. It looked like a real motorcycle and not a spaceship like my wings. The sound of all 6 carbs sucking fuel at wide open throttle was intoxicating, something like a built small block Chevy but it returned 25-27 mpg during those antics and maybe 32 when ridden @ 80 mph on the Interstate. Wind protection and audio sound quality was way below GW standards.

My wings were both superb touring bikes and ready to take on the rigors of hard, high speed riding, with great comfort and wind protection. The 2012 had the best stereo I've ever heard on any bike, even better than my 2000 BMW K1200LTC, known for its sound quality. 45 mpg ridden sedately and 35 ridden fast.

I may get a new Wing if the coming ICE AGE stays away and if my 2018 Indian Scout sells.

Sam:)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Had a 2001 Valk and then i tried the 2003 Wing, never looked back after trading for the Wing. Better ride, better fuel mileage, more comfort for me and the wife, and more power. I would go straight to the wing if I were you.

Bill

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I had a 1998 Valk then test road a 2006 Wing used bike the dealer had... after 20 mins riding it I traded for a new 2008 GW right then, was not even remotely thinking I would do that at the time. The Wing had much more power, much better handling, cruise, radio, etc...

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
My good riding friend has the Valk and loves it.........

I have never ridden his bike (I don't/never ride friend's bikes) so I can't tell you the difference...

Ronnie

·
Registered
301 Posts
. Too small a wallet to pay for a surprise trans rebuild. Reluctantly I'm pushed to consider the 1500 Valkyrie Interstate now. Appears pretty bullet proof if well maintained.

I have always thought the older Valks were the most photogenic motorcycles ever built, and lusted after one for years. Alas it never came to be.

However...

Honda did a good revisit to the venerable Valk with the CTX1300 in 2014. If you liked the look of the all the exterior plumbing on the Valk, consider the CTX in your deliberations. Its V4 drive train is rheostat smooth, and proven through years of its ST1300 antecedent. It's incredibly well balanced (better than the GL1800, less than the 1833 imo) injected and will tour all day as long as you need it to.

Because Honda orphaned it after a single year's production, bargains on both leftover new and used are easy to find:

Good hunting!:wink2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts