GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a magazine that had an ad for 17 mile drive and in the description it said "NO" motorcycles allowed. Can someone confirm or deny this for me as I have it planned on my upcoming trip to CA. Thanks

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
True. As I recall, that's a private road in the pebble beach area and that's been true for many, many years.
Decades. I remember it from the early '60s. It's pretty, but there are lots of places I'd rather spend my time.

Being private, they can make any rules they want -- and turn you away at the gate.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yep it's true. We tried going though there a couple years ago on our way to Yellowstone and they told us no way. I was bummed because my wife has never seen 17 mile drive.

They aren't the only ones that prohibit motorcycles. We have a lake with a camping area near our home and they wouldn't allow me to take our M/C their either. Probably best to check before you plan long trips with destinations that may be sensitive to motorcycles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bikes Restricted

Yup. There are a number of both Federal and state Parks Where motorcycles are restricted from (areas of Yellowstone, comes to mind) The Park Ranger said " it was because Bikes were to noise for some of the wild life while nesting" I told him I was on a wing but that didn't seem to change his mind any. ...Mike Dory

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I ran the 17 mile drive in my cage with the kids.It's boring as all get out at funeral slow speed limits seeing it's a private road with a ocean view at times.

You will love the 1 instead.very scenic with breath taking views and twistys that make many drool over.But you will remember them!!

Take in down to San Simeon and tour the Hearst Castle.(buy tickets ahead online).and you'll be so much happier you did.Check out the Elephant seal across the street too

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
You will love the 1 instead.very scenic with breath taking views and twistys that make many drool over.But you will remember them!!
:thumbup:

I've had the opportunity to be on most of the segments of CA Hwy 1/US-101 south of Eureka. By far, the best (in my mind) was north of Point Arena north to the intersection of those two roads.

We were last that far north in 2008...I need another trip up that way.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my butt booted out a couple of days ago. The guard said no bikes because someone tore up some golf greens.
I have been watching your spotwalla link and noticed you were in the area just the other day. I will be there in 3 weeks. We will be traveling alot of the same roads you were on.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
In 1990 I stopped at the 7/11 there at the gate and paid the guy behind the counter $50.00 to use his car to see the drive. He tossed me the keys! I asked him if there was anything I should know about the car. He said, "Pump the brakes!" We toured the entire drive in an old P.O.S. blue Chevy Nova, but we got in and drove its length both ways. When I returned, the bike and trailer were still there in the parking lot, undisturbed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts