GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody installed a brake (not break) light modulator on a '18-'19 DCT Tour?

If yes, what brand? How easy or difficult was the installation?

I had a Vizi-Tec brake light modulator on my '14 BMW R1200RT, and it was brilliant. Remove the pillion saddle, find the brake light connector buried in the tail housing, plug 'n play. Presto bingo, it's operational.

I contacted Vizi-Tec for the availability of a brake light modulator for the new Wings and the proprietor said the new Wings were "too complicated", so none is available nor planned.

So I'm looking for an alternative supplier. Anybody WHO HAS ACTUALLY GOT ONE INSTALLED?

Tim

·
Registered
470 Posts
The EC one only works if the have the trunk spoiler with the built-in light. You didnt say if you have the spoiler or if you are trying to modulate the stock brake lights. That would be useful to know.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The EC one only works if the have the trunk spoiler with the built-in light. You didnt say if you have the spoiler or if you are trying to modulate the stock brake lights. That would be useful to know.
I installed the EC modulator along with the Honda Luggage rack and brake light. It just connects between the optional sub-harness and the brake light. The hardest part was installing the luggage rack.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed the EC modulator along with the Honda Luggage rack and brake light. It just connects between the optional sub-harness and the brake light. The hardest part was installing the luggage rack.
Perfect! That's exactly the info I was seeking.

And yes, I have the Honda OEM trunk light and aux brake light.

That should close this thread.

Many thanks.

Tim

·
Registered
61 Posts
I installed the Skene Designs unit. Love it! It's programmable. If all you want is brake lights (this unit also turns the Honda top case light into a running light) tapping is all that's required. If you want to add the stock tail lights you will have to cut the wires. I did it, not a big deal and no canbus faults or resistors required.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I installed the Show Chrome brand. Plug and play under the seat for the regular brake lights. Works great, very bright. $94 from Cyclemax.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not trying to be a wet blanket but I think it's important to distinguish between a flasher and a modulator.

The modulator reduces from full power to low power; not on to off. This is what makes a headlight modulator legal. As evidenced on other threads, the public is easily confused by this distinction and IMHO we can help the general public by being be good stewards of motorcycling knowledge and using accurate terminology.

Reactions: jlbc212
1 - 8 of 8 Posts