GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area has an '18 and up Wing with a Bushtec hitch and Pakit Rack, I'd like to take some measurements to convert a nearly new Pakit Rack I acquired to fit a similar bike. My Pakit Rack is the one made for earlier model Wings without a hitch but it doesn't have the lightweight hitch sold with it. I need to convert it to fit something and thought I might as well upgrade it to a newer model. I've got all the proper size square tubing, but hesitate to start welding on it until I have some concrete measurements to guide me. I'll make it worth your while if I can do this.

If you can help, contact Johnny S at [email protected].

Thanks in advance!
Johnny

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Johnny
Once again I think I can help you out.
I have a 2018 with a bushtec vertical hitch. I don’t have a name brand “packit rack” but a cheap EBay knock off that fits and works just fine. I’ll let you know when I can escape home quarantine and make it up your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe, I was thinking of you when I wrote the ad but figured you were going to pull your trailer again. I have no problem coming to you if I knew when a good time would be. I'll give you a call soon and we can discuss it. Many thanks again!

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
I've got a rack tour box and packit rack for my 08, the 18's hitch is at an angle. So I'll end up angle grinding the vertical post off the rack's draw bar and rewelding it back on at an angle to match the new hitch.

but then again, I'm lucky enough to have a garage shop with the tools necessary to modify.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I've got a rack tour box and packit rack for my 08, the 18's hitch is at an angle. So I'll end up angle grinding the vertical post off the rack's draw bar and rewelding it back on at an angle to match the new hitch.

but then again, I'm lucky enough to have a garage shop with the tools necessary to modify.

Mine is a Bushtec hitch on a 2018 DCT Tour and mine is straight vertical as was the hitch I had on my 2008.
Jerry is your hitch another brand?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I didn't have the welding chops to build what you plan to build but I had an old style Pakit Rak. I called Pakit Rak and bought the correct adapter from them. Worked great and they are VERY nice people to work with.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts

Mine is a Bushtec hitch on a 2018 DCT Tour and mine is straight vertical as was the hitch I had on my 2008.
Jerry is your hitch another brand?

Yeah, oopsie on my post. Just bought an 18, came with a Rivco hitch still in the box. Installed it a couple of days ago, it has an angled receiver.
Looked at pic of a bushy hitch, thought it had an angle also.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
06Winger, is that a stock Pakit Rak on your Bushtec Hitch or an older one that's been modified to fit the new bike? If it's a new stock one, I'd sure like to see a pic of it from the side with it off the bike and without the bag so I can see the configuration.
Johnny S

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I took it off my '06. The tray fit perfectly into the new bushtec hitch. But, it was getting too much exhaust, I thought. So, I had a mechanic raise the tray 4" by welding pieces of square tubing he had. Took him 15 minutes. Then sprayed it black to match.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks plenty sturdy. I really appreciate you doing that! I think I'm going to use 1 inch tubing until I get to the upright and then I'll use some 1.25 tubing that I had milled down on two sides so it will fit inside the Bushtec receiver.
Johnny S

1 - 13 of 13 Posts