GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading on this site about tire explosions and the danger from 18 wheelers. Yesterday I was in my car driving on I-35 in Austin and was riding beside a truck and I started thinking about what I had been reading when all at once two of his tires exploded right next to me on the passenger side. It shook the whole car.

I slowed down and followed him to a stop. I knew that my side would have a lot of damage. When I look though there was no damage. It was just the pressure that shocked my car.

I am glad that I was not on the bike, but also glad I was aware when it happened. I will now know what to expect and if it does happen while I am on the bike I hope I will keep my senses and maintain control of the bike.

It was really strange that it happened while I was thinking about it.

Note to self: don't think about it again.........

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
In the past year there has been 2 different 18 wheeler that had a blow-out in front of me. Rubber tread flew like shrapnel with several large pieces landing on the hood of my truck. I was very glad I wasn't on the Wing. I never ride along beside a truck. I slow down to let the left lane clear in front of him and then gun it until I'm clear of him. I don't know if it's the economy or fuel prices but it seems more truckers are running re-treads than I've ever seen. That is based on the number of treads laying on the interstates here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have experienced the same thing while driving cars on two separate occasions. The first time we were hit with flying rubber and the second time I was directly beside the tire that blew and the percussion actually disoriented me for a few seconds. I am always leary of passing truck so I alway make it a practice never to place myself next to a truck for an extended period of time or in the area of the would be debris path. I try to plan passing to be able to move quickly by the large trucks through the passing lane and back into the right lane as quickly as possible to avoid problems with the possiblity of becoming injured by blowouts. :cool:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Mythbusters did a show on this, and their conclusions were that the tires do not explode outwards. They will come apart and exit behind the truck, and yes, the pieces coming out can be deadly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Im here to tell you, Mythbusters is wrong. I had one blow across the interstate from me and threw debris across 6 lanes of traffic. A cap will go backwards. If the sidewall blows, it will take out a lot.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Many times, but not every time, the tires will give a warning. If you hear the tire making a cyclic sound like perhaps a piece of rope cought in the tread, get away. Not sure how to describe the sound, but when you hear it and a tire goes it will stay with you.
Stay away from 18 wheelers if possible when going down the road.

Cheers

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
global warming makes them hotter so they melt n come apart - that ex polititian thats all green said so trucker told me they get extra green stamps for every tire that explodes carefull out there

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
global warming makes them hotter so they melt n come apart - that ex polititian thats all green said so trucker told me they get extra green stamps for every tire that explodes carefull out there
And on this post we needed to hear this BS...why?:roll:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Last weekend I dodged a very complete looking tire on the road, then I noticed an 18 wheeler stopped ahead. The right rear trailer wheel was missing its tire, the whole thing just spun off the rim somehow.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
many times, but not every time, the tires will give a warning. If you hear the tire making a cyclic sound like perhaps a piece of rope cought in the tread, get away. not sure how to describe the sound, but when you hear it and a tire goes it will stay with you.
stay away from 18 wheelers if possible when going down the road.

Cheers
"wop, wop, wop, wop, wop, wop, wop, wop"

·
Registered
410 Posts
Earlier this summer my grandson and I are on the Interstate which I really hate to ride on. I was towing my Leesurlite camper as well. There was an 18 wheeler four hundred feet in front of me, and his left wheel tire blew out. All that I can remember was the sound was quite incredible and there were tire pieces flying everywhere. In recollection, I know the tire had to hit the fender, but tire pieces shot straight up. Luckily, as it came down we managed to dodge all the pieces. I avoid 18 wheelers like the plague. FYI I worked on jumbo aircraft for way to many years and you always approach after landing from the front or rear as well as servicing tires.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
In the past year there has been 2 different 18 wheeler that had a blow-out in front of me. Rubber tread flew like shrapnel with several large pieces landing on the hood of my truck. I was very glad I wasn't on the Wing. I never ride along beside a truck. I slow down to let the left lane clear in front of him and then gun it until I'm clear of him. I don't know if it's the economy or fuel prices but it seems more truckers are running re-treads than I've ever seen. That is based on the number of treads laying on the interstates here.

Extreme heat like Texas had this summer plays heck with tires running loaded and at sustained high speeds.

I don't run retreads on my rig, I don't care how much money I would save over the price of new.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Steer axle

There is an axle for steering now? When did that happen?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Extreme heat like Texas had this summer plays heck with tires running loaded and at sustained high speeds.

I don't run retreads on my rig, I don't care how much money I would save over the price of new.
:agree:
I hardly ever see the pieces of tire along the highway during the colder months here but they are a common sight during the summer. I had a trailer tire blow on me once when I was driving semi, had pieces of rubber going all over, glad no one was right by me when it happened.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

·
15 year Member
6,867 Posts
I was next to a 18 wheeler one day and could not believe the power of the explosion, it was on the other side and it nearly knocked me off the bike.... The tread went straight back and the truck never flinched nor did he slow or stop just kept on rolling.....

Matt(BCNV):doorag:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts