GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 GL1800---

I know many are concerned about the load limit on tires, especially the rear, what with passenger, luggage, trailer, etc. adding a lot of weight to the back. (Notice that I did not say anything about the size of the driver?)

I'm curious about replacing the 180/60 R16 with a 180/70 R16. Anyone tried it? Wondering about fender/suspension clearance, rim fitment, handling. The 180/70 has about 80 pounds more load bearing capability, seem better suited for all that extra stuff so many of us want to take along.

·
Administrator
3,852 Posts
Lots of people run Dunlop E-3 70 series on the rear. It is a taller tire so gives more ground clearance and supposedly corrects the speedometer. Tom Finch says he's convinced the Goldwing was originally designed with the 70 series in mind.

However, if it is just weight limit you want, I believe you'll want to stick with the 60 series tire. The Dunlop E-3 60 series has a load rating of 992 lbs, while the 70 series has a limit of only 910 lbs. I did not look at other brands of tires, so I imagine they may differ.

There is another type of rear tire that many of us use that offers much more load-carrying capacity but I can't tell you about here. Slip on over to the Darkside forum and let's talk.

Glen

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glen:

From the info. I'm looking at, 60 series is 827 pounds, 70 series is 908 pounds. Your reply said "However, if it is just weight limit you want, I believe you'll want to stick with the 60 series tire. The Dunlop E-3 60 series has a load rating of 992 lbs, while the 70 series has a limit of only 910 lbs. I did not look at other brands of tires, so I imagine they may differ.". I wonder why the discrepancy.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...9&prodFamilyId=19447&listingId=&sizeAttr=5290
  • These radial touring motorcycle tires deliver great mileage and handling for all big radial-shod touring motorcycles.
  • Wear resistance is substantially improved with more even wear characteristics providing increased mileage, plus great traction.
  • The Dunlop Elite 3 motorcycle tire tread pattern provides class-leading wet-pavement performance, even while riding through large puddles of standing water.
  • Special motorcycle tire tread pattern is not affected by rain grooves or steel bridge decks, resulting in less front-end hunting and more consistent feel.
  • The Dunlop Elite 3's sport-derived motorcycle tire profile provides a lively response in turn transitions and a solid feel through turns for confident cornering.
  • Includes extra-wide and custom sizes 240/40R18, 250/40R18 with good looks and great handling and performance for custom motorcycles.
    Size: Speed Rating: Load Rating:
    180/60R16 H (130 mph) 74 (827 lbs)
    180/70R16 H (130 mph) 77 (908 lbs)
    240/40R18 V (149 mph) 79 (963 lbs)
    250/40R18 V (149 mph) 81 (1019 lbs)
Mel

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm running the 70 series Avon Cobra, will not be going to anything else, not one thing negative about it, but you know what they say about opinions.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Dunlop make a "heavyduty" tire for the goldwing ( altho it works on anything that has that size!!)

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I ran the 702 (70 series) bridgestone on the back of my 08 Wing. Great tire, long wearing and great handling, no cupping and corrects the speedo. But your rear tire will be on the ground with the bike on the center stand.
:fullsize:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I'm running the 70 series Avon Cobra, will not be going to anything else, not one thing negative about it, but you know what they say about opinions.:thumbup:
I do not care what you do/run ...BUT if that tire has problems (delaminates/lumps) avon will NOT replace it with another 70 series tire!!! they ONLY want the 60 series on the wing!!! BUT they at least will replace it!!! UNLIKE metzler!!!!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I ran the 702 (70 series) bridgestone on the back of my 08 Wing. Great tire, long wearing and great handling, no cupping and corrects the speedo. But your rear tire will be on the ground with the bike on the center stand.
:fullsize:
Ditto, exept the long wearing part. I guess that could be the nut holding the handlebars though.

·
Administrator
3,852 Posts
Glen:

From the info. I'm looking at, 60 series is 827 pounds, 70 series is 908 pounds. Your reply said "However, if it is just weight limit you want, I believe you'll want to stick with the 60 series tire. The Dunlop E-3 60 series has a load rating of 992 lbs, while the 70 series has a limit of only 910 lbs. I did not look at other brands of tires, so I imagine they may differ.". I wonder why the discrepancy.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...9&prodFamilyId=19447&listingId=&sizeAttr=5290
  • These radial touring motorcycle tires deliver great mileage and handling for all big radial-shod touring motorcycles.
  • Wear resistance is substantially improved with more even wear characteristics providing increased mileage, plus great traction.
  • The Dunlop Elite 3 motorcycle tire tread pattern provides class-leading wet-pavement performance, even while riding through large puddles of standing water.
  • Special motorcycle tire tread pattern is not affected by rain grooves or steel bridge decks, resulting in less front-end hunting and more consistent feel.
  • The Dunlop Elite 3's sport-derived motorcycle tire profile provides a lively response in turn transitions and a solid feel through turns for confident cornering.
  • Includes extra-wide and custom sizes 240/40R18, 250/40R18 with good looks and great handling and performance for custom motorcycles.
    Size: Speed Rating: Load Rating:
    180/60R16 H (130 mph) 74 (827 lbs)
    180/70R16 H (130 mph) 77 (908 lbs)
    240/40R18 V (149 mph) 79 (963 lbs)
    250/40R18 V (149 mph) 81 (1019 lbs)
Mel
Hey mel.

Here's the link to the Dunlop e_3's for the Goldwing and other heavy bikes. It shows the load limits I posted.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=91

I ran Dunlops for a while. If I were going to use a round tire I guarantee it would be the Dunlop E-3. It still use it on the front.

Glen

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Load limits?

O.K. , getting quite a few responses, good info that some use and prefer 70 profile tire. What about load capability? Does or does not the 70 have more than the 60? Only numbers posted so far do not agree. Also, is handling affected?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
O.K. , getting quite a few responses, good info that some use and prefer 70 profile tire. What about load capability? Does or does not the 70 have more than the 60? Only numbers posted so far do not agree. Also, is handling affected?

Thanks.
910 for the 70 if memory serves. All the offerings in 60 827 with the exeption of the E3 at 992.
Handling is slightly different, but IMHO I liked it better. It will go deeper in corners, some say it falls into them but I didn't seem to notice any "falling".

Happy Hunting

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow----big difference between what Dunlop says and what a vendor posted on their web site. Guess I'll look some more before deciding.
Seems like 100 responses will yield 100 different opinions about what brand performs the best, cupping/no cupping, long mileage/short mileage, good traction/bad traction, dark side/lighter side(?), etc.

I'm going to visit some other manufacturer's sites to see what they show for weight limits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts