GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between these two model designations? Vesra brake pads lists different pad numbers for the 1800 & 1800A with the A being a much thinner pad. Are there any other differences? I never paid any attention.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I always thought the A was for ABS brakes???

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1800 &n 1800A

I think the A used to stand for Asplencade, but don't know for sure. We were looking up Rear pads and Vesrah lists the thickness of the pads and the rear pads for the A were much thinner than for the 1800. Just wondering what other differences there are? Inquiring minds want to know, plus is 12 degrees and snowing up here. Nothing else to do.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I also thought 1800A meant ABS?

·
Registered
618 Posts
A

You guys are correct:from the Honda Shop Manual: GL1800A – equipped with ABS

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
However, I believe both GL1800 and GL1800A use the same brake pads. It takes 3 numbers from Honda to do all.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
On my last brake pad order, the ABS (A) and the non-ABS pads were the same. The ordering websites like to make sure the correct parts are ordered, so they differentiate between the two for parts verification. Pads, in my case, were the same for my 08 ABS as they were for my 02 non-ABS.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
However, I believe both GL1800 and GL1800A use the same brake pads. It takes 3 numbers from Honda to do all.
:agree:

Honda lists 3 different numbers for the pads. Front left, Front right & rear. The fronts are the same except for the backing plate. The rears are thicker.

Most aftermarket pads use the same number for all 3 brakes.

ABS and standard models use the same pads, no difference.
GL1800A = ABS model
GL1800 = Standard model

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts