GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone let me know where I can locate the instructions on how to remove the 1800 alternator. I guess its possible to remove it by accessing from the rear wheel area. If anyone can tell me where I can find those instructions I would be greatful.
My 02 1800 has 181,000 miles on it and the alternator has preformed flawlessly but I would like to have it checked out before it does fail.
Thanks

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
First you do Not need to remove the tank. To remove the alternator. Second it is done best with two people.
I do not know about the starter, but this is what we did to get out my alternator.
After removing the side cover.
1. Remove battery.
2. Remove battery box.
3. Remove the screws that hold the fuse panel
4. Now take a 3/8 extension 15" long with a 12mm swivel socket or a 12mm socket attached to a a universal.
5. This is the tricky part, you have to manouver the extension with the socket from as close to the the fuel tank as possible. keep moving it toward the rear bolt of the alternator.
While one of you is doing this the other is moving hoses and wiring away from the path of the socket.
6. By this point you will have to add a 6" extension onto the end that you are using to push the other extension foreward with. ( the reason being is that there is not sufficient room to put one long extension into place because of the tight area.)
7. Now while one of you moves the extensions toward the rear bolt on the alternator, the other is using a 12" flat blade screw driver to position the socket onto the bolt. Then just put the ratchet onto the extension and back out the bolt.
It took us a while to get it figured out but this way definitely works.
More so, this way takes about 45 mins. to 1 hour max.
The other two bolts are readily accessible. The bottom bolt takes time to remove as it is in there so as you can only turn one flat of the bolt at a time.
Of course unbolt the hot wire, and un snap the green connector.
Now you just gently move the alternator towards the rear of the bike, so as it slides off of the splines.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
My 02 1800 has 181,000 miles on it and the alternator has preformed flawlessly but I would like to have it checked out before it does fail.
Thanks
Why take it out?

Have a shop load test it in the bike. If it puts out 85+ amps the stator and armature are still good. Check the no-load drain. Honda specifies a .005A drain. An open diode will allow more.

Put a mechanics stethoscope on the front and rear bearings and listen to them. If they are not rattling probably OK.

And reading these forums indicate that the brushes wearing out is not even an issue for under 200k miles.

And the alternator could test out OK and still fail 100 miles later. You never know til it happens.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Can anyone let me know where I can locate the instructions on how to remove the 1800 alternator. I guess its possible to remove it by accessing from the rear wheel area. If anyone can tell me where I can find those instructions I would be greatful.
Thanks
Download the service manual here. http://www.manualz.info/Manuals_pdf/HONDA/GL1800 Service Manual.pdf

Stu

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the replys. I took the alternator out yesterday after supper. Took a little over an hour. The biggest problem was the top outside bolt threads were siezed up. I worked the bolt out and will clean up the threads with a tap hoping they will be OK. If not I'll have to get a helicoil and install it. I'll drop it off today to be checked out. I'm thinking bearings and brushes will be in order.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Why take it out?

And the alternator could test out OK and still fail 100 miles later. You never know til it happens.
I agree....If it were me, after 180,000 miles that alternator doesn't owe me anything. Just put a new one in and call it a day and rest easy for another 180,000 miles.......

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my alternator back today. Pretty good service. Actually I could have picked it up yesterday afternoon. That would have been same day service. They put in new bearings and brushes. Said the old brushes were about half gone and the bearings were getting a little loose. not bad after 181,000 miles. Cost less than $75.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Yeah, the bearings and brushes last forever...it is the electronics that go and there isn't really a way to repair it. That is why it just makes more sense to throw a new one in every say, 180,000 ;)

Mine went at around 100k and the brushes and bearings were fine.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
First you do Not need to remove the tank. To remove the alternator. Second it is done best with two people.
I do not know about the starter, but this is what we did to get out my alternator.
1. Remove battery. <snip>
Now you just gently move the alternator towards the rear of the bike, so as it slides off of the splines.
Excellent write up, but to replace that hard to reach bolt does one use chewing gum or would one benefit from a mag socket to keep the bolt in the socket? I'm guessing that you tape the bolt onto the alternator hole and work from there....???

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
21,099 Posts
a friend of mine has over 220,000 on the original alternator, new brushes were put in at about 150,000

my alternator has been replaced twice under warranty, first time was at 69,000 second time was at 204,000

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I had mine replaced at 105,000 under warr. Spoke to the tech and told him about taking it out the side and he said Honda info. is to take the tank out. I was away from home in a strange dealership and didn't want to cause a problem so I dropped the subject. All went well total cost was $35.00 for over night freight. Extended warranty--Don't leave home without it.:lol:

·
Registered
645 Posts
1. Remove battery.
2. Remove battery box.
3. Remove the screws that hold the fuse panel
4. Now take a 3/8 extension 15" long with a 12mm swivel socket or a 12mm socket attached to a a universal.
5. This is the tricky part, you have to manouver the extension with the socket from as close to the the fuel tank as possible. keep moving it toward the rear bolt of the alternator.
While one of you is doing this the other is moving hoses and wiring away from the path of the socket.
6. By this point you will have to add a 6" extension onto the end that you are using to push the other extension foreward with. ( the reason being is that there is not sufficient room to put one long extension into place because of the tight area.)
7. Now while one of you moves the extensions toward the rear bolt on the alternator, the other is using a 12" flat blade screw driver to position the socket onto the bolt. Then just put the ratchet onto the extension and back out the bolt.
It took us a while to get it figured out but this way definitely works.
More so, this way takes about 45 mins. to 1 hour max.
The other two bolts are readily accessible. The bottom bolt takes time to remove as it is in there so as you can only turn one flat of the bolt at a time.
Of course unbolt the hot wire, and un snap the green connector.

Ok, I give up lol. I've tried for the last couple of days to get the [email protected] thing out and I'm having zero luck and lot's of fristration. So, I'm working from the left side of the bike and I frankly can neither see nor find the freakin bolt, nor is the 'bottom bolt redily accessable' (ok I admit I've not spent a lot of time looking for it .... yet). How is the second person positioned? I mean there isn't a lot of room to work in the first place, let alone having two people trying to move parts around.

I'm about ready to just pull the gas tank - it's gotta be easier than what I've been doing;).

Cheers!

http://www.jimnlyn.com

G

·
Yeah, the bearings and brushes last forever...it is the electronics that go and there isn't really a way to repair it. That is why it just makes more sense to throw a new one in every say, 180,000 ;)

Mine went at around 100k and the brushes and bearings were fine.
The armature just has wire wound on it and they can check it to make sure it's OK. The diodes can be replaced. Not much more to the electronics.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Did you go to a automotive alternater & Starter shop. The wing alternater looks like a standard GM style alternator.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I give up lol. I've tried for the last couple of days to get the [email protected] thing out and I'm having zero luck and lot's of fristration. So, I'm working from the left side of the bike and I frankly can neither see nor find the freakin bolt, nor is the 'bottom bolt redily accessable' (ok I admit I've not spent a lot of time looking for it .... yet). How is the second person positioned? I mean there isn't a lot of room to work in the first place, let alone having two people trying to move parts around.

I'm about ready to just pull the gas tank - it's gotta be easier than what I've been doing;).

Cheers!

I used the above procedure except removed the rear tire and went in from there. I was able to see what I was doing and didn't need a helper.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts

Cheers!

Jim: check your PM

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Pull the rear wheel, go in from behind while on center stand with extension.. One guy can do it in just a few minutes..

Tank has to come out if your removing the starter .

jmho

1 - 20 of 21 Posts