GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing the Honda factory CB and have everything off the bike except the top shelter or sometimes called tank cover. I have never had it off before and am asking how to disconnect the two large wiring harnesses attached to the radio control area underneath? Any help here? :) Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
The two harness are clip locks that you press the tab (facing the front of the bike) and jiggle the plugs out.. Don't forget the radio antenna...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both Punkinwing and Hawk. I finally saw the releases, but mine were on the side not front, but got them both. As always, there is great help here.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
If Ya still have the cover off (hopefully not), then go ahead and zero the Cruise Control pointer with its notch. The little inspection hole is on the left side and you look down and toward the rear of the bike to see the pointer -- will need a good light. Best of luck to Ya!

prs

G

·
0 Posts
I installed CB today in my '04. Like others have said, there is no need to remove or loosen the trunk. The hole can be drilled without doing so. I used a 1 and 1/8 in hole saw, which is comparable to the metric size Honda recommends. I found that this is a little bit too large for the grommet, and I would recommend experimenting with a 1 in hole saw, instead. On my '04, I had to use my imagination to find the mark where the hole was to be drilled. It really wasn't marked well, if at all.

Loosened, but did not remove the top shelter. Did remove the fairing pockets. Took off the meter panel, but did not disconnect the wiring.

The photos posted online are helpful in finding the plugs where the filters go and where the CB wiring goes.

Using the Sierra antenna, I would say it took me about 4 hours, to install the CB. Most of that time was trying to figure out where the hole in the trunk was to go, due to the mark being nonexistent. The Sierra antenna takes 10 minutes.

As others have said, it took time. It was not hard. I would do it again, myself, and I'm not a wrench.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Congradulation MarkM!

I started to mention that the embossed markings for the hole are actually on the front surface of the trunk -- as you look back from the seat area and NOT as you look forward from the trunk inside. (mine is an '02) My recollection may be getting "fuzzy" but I believe the center was marked with an embossed "+" and then the outer perimiter of the cut out was marked as an embossed circle. I put a Dremel plastic cutting zip bit in my mototool and center drilled the "+" mark from the front. Then I held the mototool in my left hand as I reached around the trunk to finish roughing out the embossed area from the inside as I eyeballed the embossed circle from the front. With the Dremel at high speed it cuts very smoothly and I traced the circle right up to, but not including the embossed line. I then switched to the little drum snader attachment at lower speed and easily finished out the hole to a nice smooth surfce that fit the grommet eactly. I am pretty sure it took longer to type this than it took to cut the hole!

prs

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just want to thank all of you that responded to my questions on the CB install and Morph, your pictures were terrific and I saved them in my favorites so I might help someone else. Thanks a million and safe riding :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts