GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife started her 03, 1800 Sunday morning to go on a ride and when it started there was a very noticable engine noise. It wasn't really a knocking noise, more of a rattle. She shut it off right away and then I told her to restart it. It made the same noise for about 5 seconds then faded away. She then rode the bike and it ran fine. It has done this once before, both times after not running for several days. Has anyone else had this happen? What might it be? The bike has about 30,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have an 03 also, I notice a slight clunk when starting when it seems to sit for a few days. What I usually do is when Im starting the bike just before it fires I hit the kill switch. This gets the oil flowing and the next time I let it start and I hear no noise. After it is warm I never hear any noise.

I asked my Honda dealer about it and I believe they do a good job. They told me they would be glad to tear my engine down to inspect it to see if they could find the problem. I said no...........That was last year and 15,000 miles.

I hope this is what you are talking about and you have nothing more serious

N Ga Rider

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,603 Posts
Most likely just dry valve train after sitting for awhile. My 04 will do it if I don't ride it for a week or so. I would worry if it doesn't quiet down within enough time for the oil pressure to come up. :D

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Possible fuel injector noise. (normal)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ken, I had the exact same noise last week and it really bothered me with 42K miles. I can't imagine a "dry valve" from only sitting a few days, it never did it in the spring after sitting a few months!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've got an '06 with about 5500 miles onit and it does the same thing. On startup, there is a noise (not the whine) from the engine. I figure its the timing chain. It goes away once the bike gets warmed up. Unless it gets really bad and/or does it constantly, I'm not gonna worry about it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Just for chuckles try re-setting your ECM. A friend of mine had the same symptoms and after re-setting the ECM they went away. I'm not sure what it was but there was a definate improvement.

And it is cheap!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts