GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello riders,
I am looking at a 1800 trike that alledgedly had $7000 invested in a refresh(?) of the engine and transmission as well as a new clutch. The asking price on this 2002 model is around $12,000 with milelage being 144K. Rebuild was less than 500 miles ago.
How does this deal sound?
I have ridden motorcycles for 56 years and only once did I rode a 'Wing. I just had a hip replacement surgery done but, still want to ride. I am thinking a trike is the way to go.
Thoughts on the above? It is a Champion trike conversion.
Walt

·
Registered
264 Posts
You didn't mention your age but I am 66 and had both hips replaced. After my second one I thought my two wheel days were over so I bought a slingshot. Three months later I was back on a wing and taking long trips. Everyone heals different but that is my story. Just want you to know you will recover and can ride again sooner than you think. I still have the slingshot and wing and split my time between them. I would be happy to talk to you about your replacement by pm if you would like. As for the trike if you like it and feel more comfortable on it go for it.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Hello riders,
I am looking at a 1800 trike that alledgedly had $7000 invested in a refresh(?) of the engine and transmission as well as a new clutch. The asking price on this 2002 model is around $12,000 with milelage being 144K. Rebuild was less than 500 miles ago.
How does this deal sound?
I have ridden motorcycles for 56 years and only once did I rode a 'Wing. I just had a hip replacement surgery done but, still want to ride. I am thinking a trike is the way to go.
Thoughts on the above? It is a Champion trike conversion.
Walt
Walt,
Most Wing folks are aware that most Wings, will go for upwards of 200 - 300+K miles before anyone even thinks about tearing the motor down for any work. Wing motors are seriously well put together and lots and lots of them are very high mileage, without issues. I'm wondering, why the "refresh"? I too am thinking "Trike". While I'm 66 and still a somewhat stable elephant at 6' 2.5" and 240, I can and do hold up the Wing fairly easily, even with the wife on it too. But, I've been in a few situations where my feet slid some, like on gravel on pavement, or the bike was off-kilter somewhat and, it does get the heart rate up rather quickly.

I just put out a thread on here about test driving a BMW trike and, well, I was not really impressed. A trike is a trike, and is for obvious reasons, a very stable platform. But, the use of a BMW, as in K1200, was not a good choice. Lots of what I call "Primitive" stuff. So, I'm dabbling with the thought(s) of triking our '08 Level II with 32K on the clock. We'll see what happens.
Scott

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Don't rush in to buy a trike. As noted by slolane you may recover from hip replacement and still be able to ride a 2 wheeler. If you love riding 2 wheels and your fear is tipping over at low speeds this might be an option. https://landingear.com/g2_gl1800.php I am 68 years old and still ride as much as possible, when I feel that tip over is a fear I will look at this option.

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Not sure but to me it Sounds kinda like the transmission went out and had to be rebuilt, from what I’ve seen on this board it sounds like most of the rebuilds have turned out fine..
My two wheel wing has over 500,000 miles and has never needed a rebuild.
Personally I probably would choose to pass on the rebuilt trike and look for one with lower miles, but then again any time you buy something used without a warranty it’s a gamble, often times it turns out great but occasionally it turns into a nightmare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts